A625 Mam Tor Road

I recall the road being a single-carriageway in places and traffic was controlled by way of traffic lights.

I'd guess this was c. 1975 but it could be earlier.

I too have trawled the 'net in an attempt to find some pictures. Sadly, there isn't many but there's plenty of information surrounding the slow collapse of the road.

The souvenir shops in Castleton and particularly the book shop there (Cruck Barn?) might be a decent place to start looking.

PS. Mam Tor resembles a number of Sheffield's roads!!

My grandparents lived in Rhyl and we made scores of trips to there and back from Sheffield between 1950-65. Mamtor was decidedly dodgy midwinter and I've had to get out and help push up the snowy/icy road on a few occasions. Some of the old cement lorries in the 50's and 60's used to crawl up at about 1 mph. Since the early 70's I've always used Winnets.

What a great picture!:)

I used it a bit when I was tanker driving for A.E.Evans,Sheffield in the late 60s.It was a bit of a slog up there with an 8-wheeler but there was always somebody slower than you,cement wagons and tippers.It was hard work getting round those two bends in Castleton village without power steering as well plus you couldn't see owt coming the other way.We had a regular drop at Ferodo,Chapel -en -le Frith.

I think a weight limit was put on it eventually in the early 70s,it was always being patched up and then all HGVs were diverted via Bradwell to the A623 at Tideswell crossroads if they were Lancs/Cheshire bound.

I never came back to Sheffield loaded via Mam Tor though,always used the Snake or Woodhead.

What a great picture!:)

I used it a bit when I was tanker driving for A.E.Evans,Sheffield in the late 60s.It was a bit of a slog up there with an 8-wheeler but there was always somebody slower than you,cement wagons and tippers.It was hard work getting round those two bends in Castleton village without power steering as well plus you couldn't see owt coming the other way.We had a regular drop at Ferodo,Chapel -en -le Frith.

I think a weight limit was put on it eventually in the early 70s,it was always being patched up and then all HGVs were diverted via Bradwell to the A623 at Tideswell crossroads if they were Lancs/Cheshire bound.

I never came back to Sheffield loaded via Mam Tor though,always used the Snake or Woodhead.

You've reminded me of a Top Gear type programme, which was showing old black and white footage of truckers and how they used to drive the big trucks around the old roads before motorways. They had arms like weight lifters! :hihi: