Is Bamford Churchyard Biggest eyesore in the Peak District?

I think the state of Bamford Churchyard (St. John the baptist) is disgusting. The grass is never cut and it's a jungle and a death trap as the fallen headstones are hidden in the grass. My wifes mother who walks with sticks has stumbled trying to put fight her way through the weeds and grass trying to put flowers on her brothers grave. She's not the only resident that has fallen, she has been in touch with the church wardens and Bamford parish council who will do nothing about the state mess it is in. It's must be one of the biggest eyesores in the peak national park ..What do you all think?

See photos below

http://peak-district.webs.com/eyesoreofthepeak.htm

Isnt it said that the church is one of the worlds richest organisations?

Surely there should be a budget for this kind of job.

I would like to think my resting place was kept nice, i find it a little disrespectful that its been left like this to say the least.

I was under the assumption that when you buy your plot (grave) some of the money goes towards the upkeep of the land etc.....i maybe wrong.

I would like to think my resting place was kept nice, i find it a little disrespectful that its been left like this to say the least.

I was under the assumption that when you buy your plot (grave) some of the money goes towards the upkeep of the land etc.....i maybe wrong.

in principle your grave will be there forever, if the cost of the grave was to include upkeep the cost would be immense.

My wifes mother who walks with sticks has stumbled trying to put fight her way through the weeds and grass trying to put flowers on her brothers grave. She's not the only resident that has fallen, she has been in touch with the church wardens and Bamford parish council who will do nothing about the state mess it is in. It's must be one of the biggest eyesores in the peak national park ..What do you all think?

firstly you should ask the church wardens for their insurers because your mother-in-law wants to claim against them. that might shake them into action.

secondly, you need to keep on at the church wardens and councils.

the parish council probably have no responsibility for the church grounds, there is probably a parochial church council who are responsible for the church. you need to keep on at them. if you annoy them enough they will probably do something. you might also do something more positive like trying to organise some volunteers to help maintain the churchyard.

you might also try the diosece and district councils, but they probably can't do much other than sympathise.

in principle your grave will be there forever, if the cost of the grave was to include upkeep the cost would be immense.

Which is probebly why the plot is so expensive!!

As my dad keeps saying, i cant die yet, i cant afford it!!!!! :D:D

The church sold Bamford rectory and made a huge amount of money from the sale, I'd love to know where all the money goes as they charge for everything, burials, digging graves, having the headstone brought through their gates and I'm not talking peanuts, it's hundreds of pounds and that's that's per person. You think the least they could do was to use some of it to cut the grass. Other churchyards in the Hope Valley including my own village church are kept tidy. A lot of the graves from the derwent church which is now under water were transferred to Bamford when they were building the ladybower dam.

We cut around the familys graves as do some of the other residents who have family buried there but to get to the new graves you have to go past graves that are hundreds of years old and there's no one to look after them. We have ask people with family buried there if they will do their bit but most of them just say they aren't interested. We've even suggested they ask people on community service if they can help out but no one seems to care. Andy that's a good idea about asking the church wardens for their insurers ..will try it now. Cheers.

Archived