Is Bamford Churchyard Biggest eyesore in the Peak District?

you`ve just given me an idea but its putting it before the church council and who to put it to on the coucil.

Sue, If you know Jenny Mather who lives opposite the church or Carol Cotton these are the wardens of the church so would be the people to contact but the Rev. is Katie Tuplin who lives at Hathersage.

I've also written to Sheffield newspapers, Derbyshire times, peak advertiser, BBC, our MP, and the bishop.

As Andy suggested I told one of ladies who had fallen to phone and ask for the church insurers, I think her husband phoned up and got the insurance details so once the insurers see what a deathtrap it is I should imagine their insurance premiums will go up quite a bit. I know of 4 residents that have hurt themselves, one quite badly and others just superficial grazes and such.

Funnily enough, those of us who have had 3 or 4 generations of relatives relying on the cement works to put food on our tables don't actually mind the place too much. It only seems to be the weekend tourists or the new villagers who move here and have a set idea of what the countryside should look like who bemoan the existence of the place.

And I'd wager the rubbish that cement works chucks out isn't much worse for the air than the exhaust fumes of the 30,000 deedahs who by saturday can't bear the sight of the ghetto any more, and are desperate to come out and sit in a traffic jam and look at some trees.

All in all though, the combination of the two does give us poor air I admit, and the cement works is already there, so I guess we're just going to have to build a big wall at Fox House and you'll all have to go and sit in Graves Park instead.

Funnily enough, those of us who have had 3 or 4 generations of relatives relying on the cement works to put food on our tables don't actually mind the place too much. It only seems to be the weekend tourists or the new villagers who move here and have a set idea of what the countryside should look like who bemoan the existence of the place.

And I'd wager the rubbish that cement works chucks out isn't much worse for the air than the exhaust fumes of the 30,000 deedahs who by saturday can't bear the sight of the ghetto any more, and are desperate to come out and sit in a traffic jam and look at some trees.

All in all though, the combination of the two does give us poor air I admit, and the cement works is already there, so I guess we're just going to have to build a big wall at Fox House and you'll all have to go and sit in Graves Park instead.

My wifes family go back to William Le heyre who came over with William the conquerer and was granted land and made forrester of the Peak. Her father is one of the managers up at Le farge, She has many relations that work up there going back to when it was first built and she like me, absolutely hates the eyesore that can be seen - there's nowhere you can go in the Hope Valley to escape it. I'm sure if a survey of the local villages were carried out most residents including the old familys such as my wifes would wish to see it gone. However it does supply a lot of jobs to local people and some not so local as well. We also think a toll should be charged to get into the Peak at weekends money from which could be used for the benefit of us locals who have to put up with the pollution from the tourists.

The countryside belongs to everyone, not just those whose ancestors spoilt it by building on it.

• 1 year later...

Archived