Crookes characters

I remember String vest Ted too and lots of others. I used to knock around with a group of people they lovingly called " the Nutters of Crookes" There was one punk, a lecturer, a bald bloke, a hippy, a rocker and myself. We were so different but all of us got on so well. I was the only female of the group but was classed as an honorary lad.:)

I have a vague image in my head but think they may have been little older than me, more my step brothers age, he knocked about on Wesley Hall corner with scooter crew. ha ha.

Did you got to Tapton or King Teds Rivelin6?

I doubt it's the same person but there was a fella who looked and dressed like Harry H Corbett in Steptoe and Son, I used to see him a lot, he was always walking somewhere (I know everybody is, but he always gave the impression that he'd walked a very long way if that makes sense!).

I saw him a few times a couple of years back and he looked in a really bad way, using crutches really slowly. Sad, after how he used to be.

Does anyone remember any of the old characters from Crookes, like ' string vest ' who I think was a grave digger ? always wore a string vest, flat cap and trousers with a larger leather belt. I think he used to drink in the 'Old Grindstone' before it was altered, or 'Magnum Harry' who frequented the Mad House on Lydgate Lane when ' Fixit ' was the landlord. Happy day's !

hi i remember string vest well he was my dad

No it wasn't on Crosslane, it was corner of Mulehouse and Tasker, opposite to Nirmal's Shop? I remember Princes though. I also remember Kandy Kabin, Patience Wall wool shop, Mrs Scotts Library, "spooky" place that was, Ballins, Leapers, that "posh" clothes shop where Casanova is now and The Joke Shop further over was where most of my spending money went...ha ha

there was also brammers corner crosslane and mulehouse and watkinsons opposite nirmals

Does anyone remember any of the old characters from Crookes, like ' string vest ' who I think was a grave digger ? always wore a string vest, flat cap and trousers with a larger leather belt. I think he used to drink in the 'Old Grindstone' before it was altered, or 'Magnum Harry' who frequented the Mad House on Lydgate Lane when ' Fixit ' was the landlord. Happy day's !

Yeah Magnum Harry went in the Noahs more, I always knew him as 'Harry the Gun' I used to shoot with him a time or 2. Does everyone remember Lol who had the Ball? with the blow up dolls on the wall. And also the guy who used to mime to the turn at the front of the stage in the Crookes club?

[quote=hockey mum;

Watkinsons opposite Nirmals

Was Nirmals the cobblers that was on the corner of Mulehouse and Chichester Rd ?

My mother worked for Phylis Watkinson in the 40's, I think her daughter Ann took over that shop after she married.

Was Nirmals the cobblers that was on the corner of Mulehouse and Chichester Rd ?

My mother worked for Phylis Watkinson in the 40's, I think her daughter Ann took over that shop after she married.

The cobblers was Slack's, had a son called Robert - this would be in the 50's, but they were there for many years.

Archived