Crookes characters

Does anyone remember any of the old characters from Crookes, like ' string vest ' who I think was a grave digger ? always wore a string vest, flat cap and trousers with a larger leather belt. I think he used to drink in the 'Old Grindstone' before it was altered, or 'Magnum Harry' who frequented the Mad House on Lydgate Lane when ' Fixit ' was the landlord. Happy day's !
anyone recall the man with an apron and boater hat, he stood outside the fish shop until some stupid idiot had it removed, said it was an obstruction . Arthur.

Was Nirmals the cobblers that was on the corner of Mulehouse and Chichester Rd ?

My mother worked for Phylis Watkinson in the 40's, I think her daughter Ann took over that shop after she married.

no anne never ran the shop when phylis retired they made it back to a house albert died but my auntie phil is still alive and kicking so is her sister lydia

Does anyone remember any of the old characters from Crookes, like ' string vest ' who I think was a grave digger ? always wore a string vest, flat cap and trousers with a larger leather belt. I think he used to drink in the 'Old Grindstone' before it was altered, or 'Magnum Harry' who frequented the Mad House on Lydgate Lane when ' Fixit ' was the landlord. Happy day's !
i remember string vest as he was my farther who died he used to drink in noahs ark when elis had it along with baby pat alfie and fairwell sellers he also drank in masons arms playing dominoes.

The fish shop man - I actually know a little more about the removal. A little kid ran out into the road from behind the "fish man" and was almost run over. A chap I know just popped in and told the fishmonger he though it was too close to the road. It then got blown out of all proportion with the fishmonger getting uppity and saying he had been told to shift it. He then got into some local press (may have been one of the political party's press release) and probably made it worse, as I think he may have then officially been told to remove it.

Just shifting it to the shop front side of the pavement would have probably solved it. Wonder where he is now though? Do you think he has pride of place in the old fishmongers front room? I hope so

wouldnt even no what a computer was

Maybe not ha ha....but what a character :hihi:, remember getting ice cream from Mr Slinns on Crosslane and walking over to Crosspool through cemetery and ya dad, complete with all year round tan, flat cap and string vest stood on front on Mulehouse Road. Always havin a chat with someone ha ha, I remember him being a very popular bloke, even though I cant have been more than 11yrs old and im 40 now!

A bloke called Bill Atkin was often drinking in the Sportsman, Crosspool on a Friday night. I think he was from Crookes. A lot of chaps from Crookes used to have an allotment on Marsh Lane, top of Stephen Hill Rd., Crosspool.

Archived