Crookes characters

string vest real name ted cooper was grave diger lived on mulehouse rd magnum harry used noahs ark more than madhouse i think still alive fixit goes in la plata club sometimes with ferret and big bernard

Ted also used the Cobden View.. there was a picture of him in there for years...in his string vest.

Magnum Harry.... Know to us as Harry bang bang. Glad to hear Fixtit and Big Bernard are still around.

Hi, yes my dad, now 94 years on St Thomas Road was a regular there and often comments upon what a great Landlord Ellis was, and seemimgly an afficianado on liver and bacon sandwiches which were regularly handed out by Ellis ;dad believes he was in the 8th army in the 2nd world war; he went from the Noah to the Paecock at Stannington

The " Noah" seems to have lost its way over the past couple of years and seems a sad reflection on past glories.

Landlady "Andria" had it back in 2006 n 7 and it was a welcoming place to be but current times are rather sad= hope that some one can bring it back to the joyous place it was.

• 1 year later...
Does anyone remember the old lady that lived on School Road, on the corner where it met Glebe Road in 1960/ 70's. She was called Winnie but was her surname Cooper or something else? She was quite scary and had loads of cats.

She was called Winifred Cooper and "Winnie" as you rightly say, is what folks called her. I lived on School Road and remember her well. I recall she had quite a sharp tongue and was rather scary so I gave her a wide berth.

• 3 months later...

oldiegirl....i was in the girls brigade at the baptist church from being an explorer right up to my teens, i too played a drum in fact i still have it !!!and my cap !! mr taylor (my adopted grandad) taught the drums..mrs glossop our leader and living in fear of mrs sylvester in town inspecting uniforms for the parades/march from the side of the city hall..i went on GB camp 3 times to heacham/hunstanton norfolk...

also too loved the penny lollies from the corner of mulehouse,roots from the opposite shop who would also sell us 10 regal in our GB uniforms !!..does anyone else have fond memories of "lurch" at the chippy on lydgate lane opposite corner to the mad house? i also used to hang about with the scooter/mod crowd by wesley hall and forres road...heyho nights on lydgate lane park and frightening yourselves silly in the cemetry !!

Archived