Remember commonside late 50s early 60s

• 8 months later...

I know this isn't a direct reply (i'm far too young to remember the 50s and 60s) but I'm hopefully moving into a house on Commonside (it's just down the road from the Closed Shop and Hallamshire House pubs) and the deeds show that it used to be a shop (it's got a massive front window, which would suggest this too). Does anyone remember, or can direct me to any information about this?? Much appreciated!!

I don't remember a ladies hairdressers. But there was a gents barbers on left left heading into down. It was below North's, the hardware shop, but above Hall's the grocers.

Kelly's Directories in the City Library have details of all addresses....occupants and occupation.... going back to the turn of the 19th. century.

There used to be three shops in the corner by Rosa Road, one of them was Wilson's newsagents and I fancy there may have been a ladies' hairdressers. The garage across Rosa Road was Belfitt's.

Across the road was Beckett's butchers shop. The two pubs mentioned overlooked one another and still do. Then where the jewellers is on the corner of Barber Road, that was Midland Bank. From there, going up Commonside on the left were about four shops. One was a newsagent's and another was Bramall's bookmakers which was there when such shops were licensed in 1961.

Opposite was a hospital (I think for mental patients) and then you led down into Springvale. There was a urinal by the bus stop and then one of those old-fashioned sweet shops called MacKenzies.

In the 60's, when the buses had open rear entrances, as soon as it left the Crookesmoor Road stop to travel up Barber Road, there was a dash for the platform. The bus travelled so slowly up the hill that you could drop off by the bank and it saved you walking back up the Vale from the official bus stop!

I lived on Bower Road in the early seventies, both parents and grand parents lived in Commonside.

I have lots of great memories, norths DIY i used to go there after hours to get parrafin for my grans portable heater. They had a parrafin vending machine in the doorway. Imagine that in todays climate, would have been set on fire.

I also remember Tommys fruit shop, that was the very last building on the top of Barber road (next door to Norths), i used to stand in line waiting to be served and he would rattle on to all the women,it seemed to take hours to get served, everything was wrapped in news paper.

I knew a lot of the patients that lived in the hostel at Moorends, there was a little fella called Victor who was an avid Notts Forest supporter, and then big John who used to stand and count his money in his purse. His fingers were always black from contantly handling the coins. I still see him on the odd occasion, he drinks orange in the Hallamshire Pub.

Aah happy days:)

I remember Tommy;always reminded me of Larry Grayson.As for 'Counting John' ,unfortunately he fell off a bar stool in the Closed Shop before Christmas and is in a bad way.I'm surprised no ones mentioned George's Joke Shop which became fancy dress hire.Cockney George moved his premises down Walkley Lane (since then the premises have been replaced by flats).George passed away about 5 years ago.I suppose these places are more 70's than 60's though.

I know this isn't a direct reply (i'm far too young to remember the 50s and 60s) but I'm hopefully moving into a house on Commonside (it's just down the road from the Closed Shop and Hallamshire House pubs) and the deeds show that it used to be a shop (it's got a massive front window, which would suggest this too). Does anyone remember, or can direct me to any information about this?? Much appreciated!!

Yes as i can remember there used to be a butchers and a fish mongers in that area ,I think the butchers was jimmy reagans i'm talking early 70's here.

Archived