Remember commonside late 50s early 60s

I was born at 17 Commonside in 1955, it was my fathers fruit and veg shop, later Gregorys and then Claytons. There was a barber/hairdresser, Mr Saddler who drowned at Skegness trying to rescue a child. Just below there was a great hardware shop run by Mrs Hall whose husband had died, he was a plumber.

I was born at 17 Commonside in 1955, it was my fathers fruit and veg shop, later Gregorys and then Claytons. There was a barber/hairdresser, Mr Saddler who drowned at Skegness trying to rescue a child. Just below there was a great hardware shop run by Mrs Hall whose husband had died, he was a plumber.

Where was 17 Commonside? Might know you! You were born year of my sister Linda

Does anyone remember the Watsons, father and son who lived up the yard behind the row of houses opposite the pub near the bottom of Commonsidein the late 50's early60's.

They were both motorbike mad and both rode racing bikes on the road. One was a 350cc Norton and the other was a 500 cc Norton International.

Later Terry bought a brand new Gold Star.

Someone must remember the bikes they made such a noise.

Happy days! PopT

I was born at 38 commonside and lived there until i was 20 so I remember it well there were three shops opposite the newsagents a grocery shop run by two elderly sisters and the betting shop. Further up Commonside there was two lock up shops one was Bilbys butchers shop and the next door was the fish shop.The last shop on that side was Becketts which was a grocer and butchers this shop had a large bay window.One other thing it was not a temperance bar it was Hartleys the Herbalist shop and they owned another on South Road Walkley this later became Fairys the plumbers.

• 5 months later...

Wow, the memories this thread has brought back! I lived in Barber Place from 1945 to 1959. I remember Barry & Josie Seaby on the corner of Barber Place, with my relations the Allan family next door, then Len & Vera Weston (was it before or after them that the Dentons lived there?), the Richardsons and then, at No. 28 my grandparents. On the opposite side, were the Haighs on the corner (she was Vera and her brother Jimmy lived with them, walked with a bad limp and had a twisted hand),and along from them I can remember Trevor Gillott's family. At the bottom of Bower Road, immediately above the laundry, were the Grainger family, then my other grandparents, followed by the Marsdens and the Haywoods.

Opposite Scrivens corner shop (yes I remember Vicky Scriven too) was Burrows greengrocers. Some of you must have been at school with Lynne Burrows? Co-op next door, before it was modernised it had those fascinating gadgets for cash that whirled along ceiling wires to the cashier in the kiosk at the end of the shop. A couple of shops above that was a bakers which became Jewitts but it was Jennisons before that, my aunt was one of their delivery drivers. The butchers across from Barber Place, corner of Barber Crescent, wasn't that called Mabbotts? I went to Mr Mallinson the chiropodist next door to Mrs Binney's. And once went to Susan Bromley's birthday party at the Hadfield pub.

Instant nostalgia.

My cousin had the hairdressers in the corner around early 60s her name was

Emily , maiden name Bell . I had an aunt and uncle that lived on Springhouse

Rd , My uncle used to drink in the closed shop ( Joe Ross) I believe they

moved to Scotland. I used to go to St Josephs and walk home up Common-

side as I lived on School Rd.

At the corner of Bower Rd/Barber Road was a beer-off called Scrivens and where Fairey's plumbers currently stands, there was a temperance bar.

Wasn't the furniture shop just elow MacKenzie's sweet shop, called Milners?

Trevor Fairey was one of my dad's mates. Don't know that he still owns the plumbers shop though. Remember getting off the 95 bus to go to my grans and stopping off at the sweet shop and then the steep walk up Hands Road to Leamington Street where my grandparents lived next door to each other. My dad's aunty also owned the beer off on the corner of commonside by the bus stop. I loved that area of Sheffield but never actually lived there.

I also loved going to the crown green bowling club at the top of Hands Road. It was a magical place inside for a kid with the full size snooker tables and I always remeber they had parties at Christmas for kids.

In fact just had a look at google maps and there is a street level photo of Commonside and it doesn't look that different - brought back loads of happy memories.

There was a bike shop (Could have been 'Rothwells') on Commonside when I was a kid in the 50s it was next door to the Springvale pub.

If you went down the alleyway at the side of the shop you overlooked the car park and garages behind the pub and bike shop, it was quite a drop down to the car park.

There was a sink perched on the wall which one of our gang shoved off, it went straight through the roof of a car parked below.

Those were the days.

Archived