Remember commonside late 50s early 60s

Jack Coates had a Rolls Royce as well, i only new of him through my mate Peter Holmes, i knew he was a local buisness man but must have retired in the early seventies when i was growing up.

I remember George the man that lived next to the bottom of the gennil i dont know if he was a heavy smoker but you could always hear him coughing his lungs up.

Can anyone remember Neville Boulby ?, he was a little man that lived on Bower Road, he used to stagger home from the Closed Shop or Hallamshire at afternoon closing time, he would always stop off and tell us his joke of the day, what a character he was.

I can rememebr neville , i lived at the hallamshire pub and neville drank in there along with his wife but cannt remember her name at the moment. he played snooker in the big snooker room !! even drunk he could play lol

Yes the butchers shop was Becketts. I used to deliver their bread and remember Mrs Beckett and her son whose name if I'm correct was John.

This was in the late 60's and early 70's.

I also recall Mr and Mrs Scriven the off licencees who is mentioned elswhere

Can anyone remember Clayton's the fruit and veg shop. He was a brash and balshy character?

I'm pretty certain the butcher was mabbots? The one on the corner of barber road and crookesmoor road. Then going up barber road, the sweetly shop belonged to mrs major, mr major had a builders business up some steps at the side/back. I went to school with their daughter Debbie. Then a chemist with coloured apothecary bottles in the window. Next mr Noah's double fronted newsagents, I used to save pocket money and buy ladybird books from there.then turners bakery, before it moved to crookesmoor road, then the Hadfield.

Hi lizziesenior,

With regards to the cobblers which you mentioned in your post. I remember back in the 50s, there was a cobblers on School Road which was an end shop in a row of shops facing the bottom of Cobden View Road. Their name was Bull and Mr Bull did have, as you stated, a club foot. Their daughter Celia Bull was in the same class as me at Western Road School as it was named back then in the 50s, prior to being Westways as it is today. Perhaps by strange coincidence this is the same cobblers to which you are referring.

The cobblers is still there. You can have shoes made-to-measure there now. I remember standing at the beer off shop, on a Sunday evening, waiting for it to open. Also, going in the wet fish shop with my gran.

From 1963 - 1967 i worked for D.North & co as a apprentice in the joiners shop above North,s shop on Commonside.Our office was in the joiners shop to and we had to turn off the machines when the rang.they moved the office to the corner of Barber Place and opposite was a old stable or barn which we used a store for slates and timber etc.After that they moved to the newly built offices just above the Hallamshire pub.W

From 1963 - 1967 i worked for D.North & co as a apprentice in the joiners shop above North,s shop on Commonside.Our office was in the joiners shop to, and we had to turn off the machines when the phone rang.they moved the office to the corner of Barber Place and opposite was a old stable or barn which we used as a store for slates and timber etc. After that they moved to the newly built offices just above the Hallamshire pub.While i was in the joiners shop opposite us was the bank and below was a ladies hairdressers,and below our shop was a old man in a cobblers shop.

Southweller.

I'm pretty certain the butcher was mabbots? The one on the corner of barber road and crookesmoor road. Then going up barber road, the sweetly shop belonged to mrs major, mr major had a builders business up some steps at the side/back. I went to school with their daughter Debbie. Then a chemist with coloured apothecary bottles in the window. Next mr Noah's double fronted newsagents, I used to save pocket money and buy ladybird books from there.then turners bakery, before it moved to crookesmoor road, then the Hadfield.

There is a mix up here with Mabbots on Barber Road/Crookesmoor Road corner and Beckets on Commonside.

Archived