Remember commonside late 50s early 60s

• 2 months later...

I can't remember the name of the toy shop which was opposite McKenzies

and just below the chemist. One day I was looking in the shop window when a man said he'd buy me one of the lovely big dolls if I went for a walk with him to the bombed buildings. Fortunately I was saved by a lady who took me home. This must have been around end of 40s. Love reading this thread. There must be many of us who went to Western Road School.

There was a passageway between the Springvale Hotel and Rothwells Bike Shop, at the end of the passageway was a wall with a very deep drop into the car park behind the Pub, on top of the wall was an old stone sink which one of my friends managed to push off the wall, the sink went straight through the roof of the car parked below.

There was also the 'Reliable Holiday Agency' and 'Hartleys Herbalists'.

But I still chuckle when I think of the sink.

• 6 months later...
Does anyone remember the Watsons, father and son who lived up the yard behind the row of houses opposite the pub near the bottom of Commonsidein the late 50's early60's.

They were both motorbike mad and both rode racing bikes on the road. One was a 350cc Norton and the other was a 500 cc Norton International.

Later Terry bought a brand new Gold Star.

Someone must remember the bikes they made such a noise.

Hi Pop T

I was born on commonside in 1938 at Number 46 and knew Terry Watson well. His father was called Tommy. Terry was part of a motorcycle gang of which I was a member the others were. Mel Farrer,Pete fisher,Roy Clark,George Hague & Mick o Neill. Terry also had a triumph tiger 110. Someone asked about the crisp makers on commonside it was called 'FRIBELS'. I lived across from them in the old back to back cottages

• 6 months later...
Where was 17 Commonside? Might know you! You were born year of my sister Linda

17 is above the Springvale Pub before what was the hairdressers. We left in

1958 to move to Bradway Bank, so I never got to know anybody. Much the pity.

Archived