Remember commonside late 50s early 60s

Opposte Rosens shop was another sweetshop called Morton,s or Mertons, i used to go in there for penny ice lollies, it was run by a really old lady with a big stickyout bottom lip.

She never said much and i got the impression that she didn't like kids very much.

Opposte Rosens shop was another sweetshop called Morton,s or Mertons, i used to go in there for penny ice lollies, it was run by a really old lady with a big stickyout bottom lip.

She never said much and i got the impression that she didn't like kids very much.

Morton's rings a bell. Did you buy your 'cherry lips' there?

I've just remembered the chemist by the Commonside bus stop to town. That was where the Dram Shop now stands wasn't it? I seem to remember their window with three of those glass cylinders that contained blue, green and red liquid. Not sure of the name of the vessels or what the substance was, fake or otherwise. Can't remember the year that chemist closed either?

• 2 years later...

I've just come across this site. My family used to live next door to Mr Coates and his wife for many years. That row of six semi-detached houses were built in the fifties. My mum was overjoyed with the central heating. I remember most of the shops especially the shop on barber road that sold jubblies. There was also a dry cleaners on the same side as the Springvale pub. The old lady who worked in the shop had large purple fingers. Does anyone remember Gowers and Burgens? It was further down from Milners and sold bread, cakes and cold cooked meat. There was also a haberdashers and a butchers on the corner. I left Sheffield over 27 years ago but from what I've been told the city has changed beyond recognition.

Archived