Remember commonside late 50s early 60s

Anyone remember the shop on Commonside that sold hot home made crisps? One penny a bag- delicious! So you could have got two hundred and forty for a pound! And what about the Swap-Shop? Not far from the Chemist on the same side. There was also a slaughter house up a little passage way near there where we used to sneak up to have a look. Until we were chased by a bloke who was covered in blood and had a large knife in his hand. Say no more!:help:

• 1 year later...

Wow what lovely memories. Just read this thread and enjoyed it. I was born on Rosa Road in 1958 so I remember a lot of what has been written. Becketts (where we had a slate!), Rosens shoe shop (where mum bought our shoes), Midland Bank(never had owt to put in Bank lol), Mortons shop (she used to terrify us), Mackenzies sweet shop(Mrs.Mckenzie used to live on Hands Road(No.8) and one day our cockatoo flew out of house and it was seen on her roof. My brother asked if he could go up a ladder to try and get the cockatoo but she said NO. Always say she was responsible for us not getting our bird back lol), Norths on Commonside(we(kids) always used to congregate there with out bikes/scooters etc) etc. Someone mentioned on a thread Neville Boulby, we used to play with his daughters Margaret and Pamela. Oh happy memories,happy days. Loved my childhood there

Edit:Don't know why computer has put a face for the number eight!

Wow what lovely memories. Just read this thread and enjoyed it. I was born on Rosa Road in 1958 so I remember a lot of what has been written. Becketts (where we had a slate!), Rosens shoe shop (where mum bought our shoes), Midland Bank(never had owt to put in Bank lol), Mortons shop (she used to terrify us), Mackenzies sweet shop(Mrs.Mckenzie used to live on Hands Road(No.8) and one day our cockatoo flew out of house and it was seen on her roof. My brother asked if he could go up a ladder to try and get the cockatoo but she said NO. Always say she was responsible for us not getting our bird back lol), Norths on Commonside(we(kids) always used to congregate there with out bikes/scooters etc) etc. Someone mentioned on a thread Neville Boulby, we used to play with his daughters Margaret and Pamela. Oh happy memories,happy days. Loved my childhood there

Margaret used to baby sit for me and my brother. She was great, she used to bring bigs bags of sweets and if we behaved she would sometimes give us some... only sometimes. :hihi:

Margaret used to baby sit for me and my brother. She was great, she used to bring bigs bags of sweets and if we behaved she would sometimes give us some... only sometimes. :hihi:

Does your first name begin with B? I might know you. There was a brother and sister used to live on Bower Road, lower down on opposite side.

Just found this old thread and it still facinates. The thing is I posted on here in 2006 and have since forgotten what I posted :| thats got to be a bad sign.

Anymore Commonside memories would be great.

Thanks

Did you live around there then?

Do u still live around the area and if not when did u move away?

Does your first name begin with B? I might know you. There was a brother and sister used to live on Bower Road, lower down on opposite side.

No my names Wayne. We lived at 21 the bottom house on the right as you went down the hill. Or first on the left on the way up :hihi: right next to the old laundry. When we lived there between 71 and 78 the place was making cheap metal jewellry.

We then moved onto Leamington Street first house on the left again .

Happy days

I was born at Rosa Road in 1958 and moved away in 1999.

Chocki I remember a family called Williams that lived on there one of the girls was called Linda (i think)

What about A1 taxis on the corner and the owners barmy son who used to fly about on a battered old yammy FS1E (fizzy) he went all over the world on it. I bought it off him and it fell to bits.

Archived