What's happening with the Cross Scythes at Totley?

Went in there last night for a drink there was only 2 of us and 3 others in, The place is really nice, but a little pricey £1.80 for half of coke and larger was £2.90, not too bad I suppose but £1.80 for a coke.!!!!:o

that's cheap its £3 in my local it's about average price now for a pint of lager

David Ford of Champs has taken it into his empire, definately a gastro pub, it's not got a snowball in hells chance of succeeding in Totley.

er what were u saying.ha ha its doing very well.have you got something against dave and his empire its what you call graft and hard work,he deserves it.

• 3 weeks later...

Went for tea last night at Cross Scythes as my parents live nearby and they had been meaning to try it for a while.

Been done out nicely inside and it is a huge place so plenty of tables large and small.

Service was excellent (although admittedley the place was very empty at the time we were in).

Food was very good , certainly on a par with , if not better than the cricket which is just down the road.

And if you go with the pub menu (there is also an a la carte) you can have two courses for £ 10 or 3 for £ 13 which is way better value than the cricket which to me seems a little expensive these days.

I had chickpea fritters (bit like falafels) with chilli jam and raiti and they were lovely - really light and tasty.

Followed by home made cheeseburger in a home baked bun with dripping fried chips.

My dad had the same starter but fish and chips + mushy peas for main and that was also very good.

For £ 10 , I am not sure where could beat that (especially since the fish and chips would be £ 9.25 on its own)

Plus they have waiters bringing drinks and taking the orders which is handy (Cricket can be a nightmare when busy as the bars are so small) and lots of tables.

I had a soft drink but my dad said the moonshine was excellent.

Downside of course is nowhere for kids to run around.

We went last night. It was quite empty. Unfortunately our food was rubbish to the extent that I complained, something I never do but it was bad. The veggies were microwaved, the dripping chips were like leather, the prawns (all three of the little things) were fried in old oil, I could go on but the manager took 20% of the bill. It was disappointing as it was a birthday and I had read good reviews.

Archived