Table Blade Mooder

PopT

I have come across a job title I have never heard of before whilst doing my family history.

The man was employed as a Table Blade Mooder.

Can anyone explain what the job entailed and in what industry, I'm having a guess in the Steel Industry but that is only a guess.

Appreciate your help.

PopT

I have come across a job title I have never heard of before whilst doing my family history.

The man was employed as a Table Blade Mooder.

Can anyone explain what the job entailed and in what industry, I'm having a guess in the Steel Industry but that is only a guess.

Appreciate your help.

PopT

Hi PopT,

A Table Blade Mooder would almost certainly have been working in the cutlery industry.

I was a Table Blade Grinder for almost the whole of my working life - a table blade worker would work on cutlery which would be used at the dinner table (as opposed to pen & pocket blades or kitchen knives, for instance). Unfortunately, I can't help you further as I am afraid that I have never heard of a Mooder in the cutlery industry.

A Glossary of Words and Dialect Formerly used in the Sheffield Trades (1936, reprinted 1979) has the following:

Mood The rough blank or forging of any article. Also used as a verb, to mood, i.e., mould.

Hugh

Archived