Facebook,how do i make things private to some?

as the title says,iv managed to stop a friend from seeing my friends list but if they go into my pics and boxes section they can still see my pics as im not tagged in them also my school friends is there a way of making some of these private or am i best deleting the boxes on my profile page:loopy:

If you go into settings you can set privacy levels. You can also put your friends into groups and allow certain photographs only to be viewed by certain groups... or should I say, I think so. I might have to get someone to check out my site.

• 1 year later...

I have a work colleagues setting and a friends' setting.

First of all, I create a group e.g. Jennycakes private group.

I place friends into that group that I don't want seeing certain aspects of f/b- e.g. I choose to block my wall, certain photos, as others may post things I don't want my colleagues to see. I also have it so they can't see my friends list. Basically, facebook becomes a messaging service for these people and a viewing of certain photos - e.g. ones that are fairly simple and I wouldn't mind children seeing.

I do this as sometimes other friends post swearing/things out of my control on my wall and things that I wouldn't want people who know me in a professional capacity to know (e.g. what I've been doing in my spare time- do they really need to know I was playing Treasure Isle on a Saturday afternoon? :hihi:)

Also I have it set so you can't find me or request me unless you are a friend of a friend. However, I have it set that anyone can send me a message.

Then check how your profile looks to a certain person. e.g. Your Aunty Nora/ Daphne the office gossip.

When you set something up in privacy settings, the bottom option says 'customise settings.' When you click this, it says 'make this visible to.... except' e.g Friends only/except Jennycakes private group. You can select your group of friends you don't want to see certain aspects.

People might say why have people you don't want to know your life on your facebook? It is handy to use as an answering service and to share certain photos, however you might not want them to know that you felt rough on a Sunday morning or have to put up with a potty mouth friend.

My rule of thumb is, if I worry about consequences or would I want a child to see this? - put them in that group.

Also recommended for family if your mum or Aunty insist on joining you or your neighbours! :hihi:

My friend has just set up a group of friends called 'trusted' and they are the only people who can write on his wall. I do like to abuse the privilege occasionally :hihi:

When you look at his friends list, its separated into 'friends' and 'trusted' so I think organising your friends into groups may be the way to go.

However, if its just the one friend you want to stop seeing things, maybe you should just delete them?

I have a work colleagues setting and a friend's setting.

First of all, ...

Thank you for that, Edna. - I might actually make some use of facebook now.

I do have an account (I've had it for years, never really used it and tried to close it many times ... I had detailed instructions on how to do that, but they didn't work.)

Occasionally I get an e-mail saying 'So and so is trying to contact you' and if I'm interested, I respond. (Facebook has actually been of some use there.)

Then there are the 'friends' pages. Pages and pages of pictures of people I don't know, have never heard of and am not really interested in knowing, either. I just ignore those pages.

Perhaps (with a lot of luck) I'll be able to set up facebook so that it actually does something useful.

Thanks again.

Thank you for that, Edna. - I might actually make some use of facebook now.

I do have an account (I've had it for years, never really used it and tried to close it many times ... I had detailed instructions on how to do that, but they didn't work.)

Occasionally I get an e-mail saying 'So and so is trying to contact you' and if I'm interested, I respond. (Facebook has actually been of some use there.)

Then there are the 'friends' pages. Pages and pages of pictures of people I don't know, have never heard of and am not really interested in knowing, either. I just ignore those pages.

Perhaps (with a lot of luck) I'll be able to set up facebook so that it actually does something useful.

Thanks again.

No probs. Just remember to double check how your profile looks to a person in the group at the end to make sure you've done what you wanted to do :)

Archived