Steel City Beer & Cider Festival 2009 : 1st to 3rd October

Andy C

Steel City Beer Awards - The champion beer of the festival competition was judged last night, here is the list of winners

Overall Champion beer

Gold Thornbridge Jaipur IPA

Silver = Bollington White Nancy

= The Brew Company St Petrus Stout

Bronze Bollington Nights

Bitter

winner Thornbridge Lord Marples

2nd Goff's Jouster

3rd Acorn Northdown

Best Bitter

winner Bollington White Nancy

2nd Sheffield Brewery Co Paradise Pale

3rd Acorn Sovereign

Strong Bitter

winner Thornbridge Jaipur IPA

2nd Kelham Island Pale Rider

3rd = Abbeydale Absolution

= Bradfield Farmers Pale Ale

Stout

winner The Brew Company St Petrus Stout

2nd Townhouse Barney's Stout

3rd Crown Stannington Stout

Porter

winner Leeds Midnight Bell

2nd Acorn Old Moor Porter

3rd Abbeydale Smoked Porter

Mild

winner Bollington Nights

2nd Tring Mansion

3rd Abbeydale Dark Matter

I went last night and thought it was crap. How it is possible to be bored ****less at a beer festival?

Boring predictable band,

minuscule signage meaning it was pretty much impossible to find the beer you were looking for,

the bright idea of having the token seller next to the end of the bar meaning the queue for tokens got mixed up with people trying to get served,

access between the two tents usually blocked by either people trying to buy a pasty or people eating their pasties meaning getting to the loos was a battle,

This is the 2nd one I've been at the GC and both have been uniformly crap. I imagine you can do a **** up in a brewery but you certainly cannot do event management.

This is the 2nd one I've been at the GC and both have been uniformly crap. I imagine you can do a **** up in a brewery but you certainly cannot do event management.

Sound all to similar to last year. :(

NOTE TO SHEFFIELD CAMRA, PEOPLE DON'T LIKE STANDING IN TENTS IN OCTOBER!!!!!!!!

You don't, however over 2000 people attended the festival and enjoyed it. Perhaps beer festivals aren't for you, or do you just go out looking for things to complain about?

Or bearing in mind the festival is 100% organised and staffed by unpaid volunteers who do it to put on a great event for the people of Sheffield purely to showcase their interests, why not get involved and give up some time yourself next year to help make it better?

The bands on the three nights were all very different - if the one on Friday night wasn't of interest to you, why didn't you go on Thursday or Saturday? It was all on the website well in advance.

Archived