Wordsworth Ave.1950s

oakeye

trying to contact wragg family,also mooney family who lived on wordsworth

ave,parson cross,in the 50s.can anyone help with current whereabouts?

The Mooney family, who were descendants of the famous Mooney gang, moved away from The Cross in the 60s

Tony Mooney (probably aged 70 now) went on to become the Principle at a very exclusive boys RC public school.

His name was in all the papers (broadhseets at least) some 15 years ago when he announced that he would be resigning from his post as he no longer had faith. (religious faith that is, not faith in the education system)

I remember him as a lovely guy, but very headstrong and incredibly intelligent.

Old Joe Mooney was still there in the late 80`s,I had the old goat mouthing at me cos I went to Bill Naylor`s to drop him some money for a club trip.

He was watching Bill`s house while he was in the club,and started shouting from across the road,so I went across to tell him not to fill everyones mouth who was out on the street(it was a lovely summers day),it didn`t make him look big or clever......I got treated to the big "Do you know who my family WAS?"

What I said back was neither big nor clever,but it had the desired effect,and we spent half an hour talking,Joe (unwittingly) filled in a few gaps regarding my family,who had been his neighbours some years before.

If I am correct Steve,wasn`t Tony Joe`s son?

• 5 months later...
Sievewrights lived near the corner,the Naylors were on the Colley Club side,Boswells moved to Falstaff Road,Chappells lived just on from the Wraggs(between Wraggs and Sievewrights),did you know the Colton family,and the Gregory`s who lived round on Margetson?

My grandparents lived at 443 (i think) Wordsworth Avenue, James Albert and Winnie Chappell and my father Harold Ian.

There are two families I know of from the 1950's who lived there - both of them I have phone numbers for. There was the Neath family, son Lewis went to school with me at Woodhouse Grammar School, he is now retired and lives in Dronfield. Also the Jordan family, has a son and a daughter Melvin and I think Janet. I knew Melvin from about 1958 onwards. He is retired and lives in Penryth, Near Falmouth

Hope this helps you - Regards - Grey Eminence - Malaysia

Melvin Jordan lived on Colley Rd,we were friends in the 4th year at Colley.

His sister was very attractive.

Neath's I remember about 435 Wordsworth , Jordan's lived at 417 Wordsworth Roy who would be about 80,Dorothy about 70 and Bob 69

Around 1960, I went out with a girl that lived on Wordsworth. She lived opposite the old folks home in the last house (I think) at the bottom of the hill, before going up to the Wheata shopping center. Gorgeous, but darned if I can remember her name.

My grandparents lived at 443 (i think) Wordsworth Avenue, James Albert and Winnie Chappell and my father Harold Ian.

444 or 446......Believe it or not,I was part of a care team that visited old Winnie.

Pete,Aileen and me used to look after them.

Archived