Happy Yorkshire day

Guest rosie

Are you proud of Yorkshire?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Are you proud of Yorkshire?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

All Yorkshire Men & Women Should Repeat This Today.

The Yorkshire Declaration Of Integrity.

I (your name), being a resident of the (West/North/East) Riding of Yorkshire declare;

that Yorkshire is three Ridings and the City of York, with these boundaries of 1124 years standing;

that the address of all places in these Ridings is Yorkshire;

that all persons born therein or resident therein and loyal to the Ridings are Yorkshire- men and women;

that any person or corporate body which deliberately ignores or denies the aforementioned shall forfeit all claim to Yorkshire status.

These declarations made this Yorkshire Day 2005.

YORKSHIRE FOREVER!

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

Why don' t we go all out and elect an unofficial President ? If it was unofficial ,then the government couldn't ban it.

In any case , they wouldn't ban our bit of independence as one of their own would be President of Yorkshire--------none other , of course than Sir John Prescott.

Our patron saint could be Freddy Trueman or Len Hutton and we could have huge banners , in the old Soviet style , of David Blunkett , flying all over Yorkshire.

Our own flag of course would be a large Yorkshire pudding sitting on top of York Minster , with Ilkley Moor as a back-drop.

Who would be in charge of Foreign Affairs , though ? We'd need somebody to negotiate with Lancashire.

What happened to South Yorkshire then mOcbt? Has it been banned for being politically incorrect?

Sheffield forum? Sheffield part of South Yorkshire - though almost the other way round. Where is South Yorkshire in your declaration?

Grrrrrr!!!

Dragon

We did not steal those bits of Derbyshire - we bought them. Hey! If they people in Derbyshire want the benefits of belonging to Sheffield then who are we to stop them? And the bits are pretty damned big - at least two thirds of derbyshire now come under city control me thinks - though this is all pretty blurred - like the fact that Sheffield boundries head out towards Stocksbridge but miss out a little village in the route between the two towns - a small independant island, unless that has also changed.

We just need to keep stretching those boundries and have the County of Sheffield rather than South Yorkshire. ;)

O' this is all so tongue in cheek.

Dragon

I drove thru Stocksbridge yesterday, Oh sorry, that was Stockbridge, a lovely small town in Massachusetts, the town that James Taylor sang about in Sweet baby James about the road from Stockbridge to Boston. I also went thru Sheffield, a village so small that if you blink you miss it, not even a pub. Not quite like its namesake. No tongue in cheek this time. Sheffield earned its right to expand.

Yes , I'm sure if we had Independence we could come to some sort of a deal with our friends and brothers in Lancashire----------daft , tight and prejudicial though they are.

People have to pass through Lancashire or Yorkshire to get from the far North to the Midlands or the South ; though why anybody would want to go in either direction baffles me.

Anyway we could have Lancs-Yorks. road tolls and all the misguided punters would have to cough up , say , a tenner to travel over our terra firma. Only those crafty buggers who went by sea or air would escape.Even walkers could afford a fiver.

With all the money collected we could use it for cultural events , such as :--"Sup All Day for Nowt " events or a ,"Beer and Clog Dancing Festival". There would be no falling out or silly arguments about the cash share--out , as long as Sheffield got more than Leeds.