Happy Yorkshire day

Guest rosie

Are you proud of Yorkshire?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Are you proud of Yorkshire?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

O WOW!!!! to be born on Yorkshire Day!!! :)

happy birthday to him

dave

Me and my sis celebrated our 34th birthday on Yorkshire Day. Someone told me years ago that Yorkshire Day was on the first of August. I was quite pleased, as I am a Yorkshire lass born and bred and have always loved Yorkshire!

• 11 months later...

Happy Yorkshire day to you all.

I am proud to be a Yorkshire man and am an avid supporter of the counties cricket team.

I see myself as Yorkshire first, then Sheffield, the English.

I am interested in all things Yorkshire, our dialect, our Viking anscestors, our beautiful countryside, our fantastic food and beer etc etc.

But Yorkshire day doesn't hold much significance.

Why? Is it not promoted properly?

I haven't heard of anything happening in Sheffield to mark the day have you?

Does it matter to you, or do you know of any events?

What could we do in Sheffield to mark the day in the future?

From http://www.yorkshire-ridings.org.uk/yorkshireday.htm

Following the government's re-organisation of England's county boundaries during 1974, a number of county groups were set up by concerned people to lobby for the return of their traditional heritage. One of these groups was the Yorkshire Ridings Society.

A meeting of their members in the East Riding village of Market Weighton led to the idea of Yorkshire Day. This was to be a celebration of all things Yorkshire and was designed to make people more aware of our county's proud history and heritage. The date chosen for Yorkshire Day was August 1st and the first one took place in 1975.

August 1st held a special place in Yorkshire's history for, on this day in 1759, soldiers from Yorkshire regiments who had fought in the battle of Minden, in Germany, picked white roses from bushes near to the battlefields has a tribute to their fallen comrades.

Since the few events which took place in 1975, Yorkshire Day has grown in popularity and now almost every town and village in the county organises an event of some kind, and many businesses have also become involved.

Remember, wearing Yorkshire's white rose on August 1st shows you care about the traditional culture and heritage of our county.