Does anyone remember 'Billy Bean'

Please put me out of my misery, I can remember all the old t.v. programmes like Wombles, Woodentops, Rag Tag and Bobtail, Along the River Bank etc. etc. but can anyone remember one from my early childhood, same era as Sooty and Sweep etc.

It had a song which went:

Billy Bean, built a machine,

to see what it would do.

He built it out of sticks and stones

and nuts and bolts and glue.

None of my Sheffield mates can remember it... please say it isnt a figment of my imagination.... perhaps some fifty-somethings can remember it too

• 4 years later...
Please put me out of my misery, I can remember all the old t.v. programmes like Wombles, Woodentops, Rag Tag and Bobtail, Along the River Bank etc. etc. but can anyone remember one from my early childhood, same era as Sooty and Sweep etc.

It had a song which went:

Billy Bean, built a machine,

to see what it would do.

He built it out of sticks and stones

and nuts and bolts and glue.

None of my Sheffield mates can remember it... please say it isnt a figment of my imagination.... perhaps some fifty-somethings can remember it too

Yes Rob I remember it well, particularly the tune which accompanied the words. It was part of that foundation stage of TV broadcasting for children, along with Andy Pandy and Muffin the Mule, which we now nostalgically reflect on. In their day those 12 inch black & white sets were even more magical than the wall filling flat screens sold currently!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived