Hillsborough Pubs

Can you head to Loxley (Admiral Rodney), Bradfield (Horns/ Plough) or Wadsley (Jack/ Sportsman/ Jockey/ Rose & crown)..... if you are the Walkley side there are some OK locals around there!

The aforementioned Hillsborough pubs are OK, I have also been in the Hillsborough Hotel recently and it was fine.

Depends how lively you like a night. Just go in all of them for a drink is the best bet and see which ones you like, but the Boro can be a bit ropey. Whilst it can be a laugh its not a classy or relaxed evening. For good beer and a nice evening The Barrack is great and Kelham Island, Walkley and Crookes are all close by.

Queen's Ground is a nice cosy friendly place, but no cask ale yet. Rawson is hopeless service but the beer is OK. The rest of them - forget it. The pubs of central Hillsborough are awful. They are just lowest common denominator places catering to the Friday/Saturday night pondlife and passing football crowds.

A bit further away the Barrack and Hillsbro Hotel have nice beer but are real ale clique type places, not really a mix of punters.

^I was just thinking the same! I live in Stannington and on the rare occasions i do go to Hillsborough, i never ever go to Legends. I think the atmosphere is weird, its really really small and full of football fans normally.

If you really want to stay in Hillsborough and have oooh...about 3 hours to queue up then the Rawson is nice. The last time i went there, i had a really fun night. The outside seating area is nice too. Although, i really do think it depends what day and what time you are going.

For example, if youre going on a football night, id avoid at all costs, unless youre partial to getting trampled but for a nice evening drink, midweek, youd be safer ;)

:P

I wouldn't say the Hillsobrough Hotel is "cliquey" - me and partner go in (not on a regular basis - say once a month) and its a always a friendly welcome.

Good beer, and wine is fine too - great place to have a catch up with firends as no loud music!

Archived