Is it time to tackle the public sector pensions time bomb?

Then either employees contributions will need to rise, or pensions reduced.

Or, we could employ more public sector workers. That means more pension contributions. Which fills the pot back up. :)

That would just increase taxation and future liabilities for pension funds.

I know. But when we've got people jumping up and down about public sector pensions not paying for themselves, they need to take the numbers of employees into account.

If we streamline the public sector, pensions cannot pay for themselves. In those circumstances, the taxpayer will have to foot the bill in the short term, with an eye on long term restructuring.

I know. But when we've got people jumping up and down about public sector pensions not paying for themselves, they need to take the numbers of employees into account.

We had a massive increase in numbers over the last 20 odd years. Plus a big increase in middle management in the £30k plus pa bracket thus increasing liabilities.

If we streamline the public sector, pensions cannot pay for themselves. In those circumstances, the taxpayer will have to foot the bill in the short term, with an eye on long term restructuring.

The odd thing is Hutton like the OBR earlier on this year said that public sector pensions are long term sustainable as they are.

This is from his report:

http://www.touchstoneblog.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/hutton-chart1.gif

Would you mind paying that if you were being paid 10% less?

There is no evidence for that. Lord Hutton says so.

I've emailed him my salary and those of several of my contemporaries from University with similar qualifications. Suffice to say that there isn't a 10% difference.:roll:

Archived