Tunnel at back of co-op in maltby

So went up to maltby other day as m8 told me there was a tunnel at the back of the shops in the car park in maltby and sure enough he was right, the tunnel entrance as a padlock on the gate but does anyone know where it goes???? surely it cant go all way to roch abbey like someone told me as that would be a fair few miles

It's possible the old monks at Roche Abbey used the tunnel when it was raining and they had to go to the co-op for their groceries. I think the co-op does a cheap line on communion wine. The Abbott probably had a share account as well and wanted his 'divvy'

Theres more than one 'divvy' in Maltby.:hihi:

• 1 year later...

The Tunnels at back of the Co Op at Maltby are part of the Cave system known as Herne Hill Caves. They go back about 60 metres, by 120 metres, but have been boulder choked probably due to mining in the area.

If your interested in tunnels try joining nwex which Im on, they have an underground section just for urban explorers like myself.

Have you tried visiting Conisbrough, they is quite a few tunnels hidden beneath the streets.

Archived