Best beer garden in City Centre?

Red Deer is serviceable, as is Henrys. Although they are more like beer yards than gardens.

Sheffield centre isn't blessed with great beer gardens.

Agreed.Real shortage of decent places when the sun shines.

I went to the Rutland Arms. At 2000 in the evening it's very disappointing. No possibility of seeing the sun at all.

And then some bizarre behaviour involving dismantling a picnic table between the staff and one customer, resulting in the customer hitting the floor and luckily avoiding a serious injury, most odd, although somewhat entertaining.

Also called at Henry's, but there's little chance of sun there unless it's noon.

The conclusion I've drawn, should have just gone to the forum from the off.

I really like the seating on Pinstone street by Brown's and that lot, it almost has the European feel of outside wining and dining. In terms of an actual garden the University Arms is nice, had frequent barbeques and the like there for Uni do's.

Within walking distance, but a little way out of the city centre, is the Kelham Island area.

I like the beer gardens at The Kelham Island Tavern, Fat Cat and Riverside.

I'm also told the beer garden at the Gardeners Rest is good, although I've never checked it out myself.

I'm off to that area this afternoon for a gargle in the sun. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

---------- Post added 21-06-2014 at 09:36 ----------

In terms of an actual garden the University Arms is nice, had frequent barbeques and the like there for Uni do's.

I've not been for a while, but the University Arms beer garden is probably my favourite in the centre of the city.

On a sunny day it's a really nice sun trap.

Regards

Doom

I really like the seating on Pinstone street by Brown's and that lot, it almost has the European feel of outside wining and dining. In terms of an actual garden the University Arms is nice, had frequent barbeques and the like there for Uni do's.

Yeah, outside Browns would have had a bit of sun, shame about the choice of beers.

Uni arms isn't really city centre.

Spent a nice weekend around Kelham Island enjoying a bit of sun. But the problem with good beer and beer gardens is that the sun warms up an already luke warm pint of ale rather too much too quickly. To be honest I'd hop on the bus up towards Totley and crash outside the Cricket Inn (or even the Beauchief if you don't want to go that far). At least being Thornbridge bars you get some decent cold beer on keg. Perfect for a sunny afternoon. And the surroundings are pretty decent.

Its crap for beer gardens, especially with a view, they should make more use of the rivers etc best for me Probably riverside and the Forum, the best ones are out of the city center

Archived