Best of Sheffield: Bars, pubs, restaurants etc

davidwhitley

As far as I know Damhouse in Crookes Valley Park is independently owned. It is in a lovely setting and on the occassions I have been I have really enjoyed the food and the staff were polite and friendly. The food was reasonably priced and my children ate for free (which is great in the current financial climate and with seven weeks of school holidays to fill)

BB's Italian Restaurant on Devonshire Street is really nice too.

Hello all - I wonder if you can help me out...

I am currently researching a travel guide to Sheffield for people who come up to the city for business/ events/ visiting friends and relatives etc.

I'm looking for tips on the very best Sheffield has to offer so that I can go and check them out for myself. Any favourite restaurants, pubs, bars, cafés and way to spend a day would be much appreciated. Same with any suggestions for pubs with good food.

Generally, I'm looking to focus on things that are uniquely Sheffield (ie. not chain pubs or restaurants) that would be the sort of place you'd take guests/ visitors to. Essentially, the places you'd go if you were wanting to show the city off or go for a special treat rather than just a decent local.

I'll add all tips to my list of places to check out, and hopefully I can make it as good and as comprehensive as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Has anyone mentioned Morans on Abbeydale Road? That's an excellent restaurant. There's rafters on Hangingwater Road and the Mediterranean on Sharrowvale Road. I've heard that Otto's on Sharrowvale is good as well, but I haven't been there yet.

And the others already mentioned. Sheffield could be better, sure, but come on, Paul2412, it's nowhere near as bad as you're saying.

Pubs:

For real ale drinkers the following come reccommended:

Hillsborough Hotel, Langsett Road

New Barrack Tavern, Penistone Road

Harlequin, Nursery Street

Fat Cat, Alma Street

Kelham Island Tavern, Russell Street

Wellington, Shalesmoor

Devonshire Cat, City Centre

Bath Hotel, City Centre

Commercial, Chapeltown

Fox & Duck, Broomhill

York, Broomhill

University Arms, City Centre

Sheaf View, Heeley

Castle Inn, Bradway

Plough, Low Bradfield

Nags Head, Loxley

For music and ale:

Dove & Rainbow, City Centre

Shakespeare, Gibralter Street

Mentholmans West Street Live, City Centre

For food and ale

Cricket Inn, Totley

Wig & Pen, City Centre

The Bradway, Bradway

Milestone, Kelham Island

Or something fairly unique is why not hire a brewery for the evening for a function? Both The Brew Company on Carlisle Street and the Sheffield Brewery Co in Neepsend offer this. They charge per head and this includes a free real ale bar and a brewery tour, and can also organise food from outside caterers.

Bradfield Brewery and Kelham Island Brewery may also be able to do something similar.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived