Anybody know what this means

mj.scuba

Just curious if anybody knows what this means:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&safe=on&ie=UTF8&ll=53.383923,-1.469325&spn=0,359.990366&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.384005,-1.469327&panoid=w4De3iGjgy61uPkS-EwAEQ&cbp=12,72.77,,1,-8.96

Its on North Church Street in Sheffield city centre, just behind the cathederal. Looks like it was an old church or something.

Thanks.:)

The (Old Testament) bible reference is 1 Kings chapter 8 v 33, which reads

33 "When your people Israel have been defeated by an enemy because they have sinned against you, and when they turn back to you and confess your name, praying and making supplication to you in this temple, then hear from heaven and forgive the sin of your people Israel and bring them back to the land you gave to their fathers."

I presume that the Hebrew lettering is that verse.

As a child (about 1943 onwards ) I went to school through St Peters Close and through to Paradise Square and on to Solly St.

I remember the bombed building I used to play in was just beyond the Square and I thought that was the Synagogue. It had a balcony around the upstairs crazily hanging off which the boys used to swing on. I know there was a bombed site seemingly behind the Synagogue on to Campo Lane so they must have been all the same one.

The tramsheds as I remember were across from the Synagogue.

hazel

Archived