Toyland on crookes in the 70s

:cool: Does any1 remember Toyland on the corner of Mulehouse Rd? I used to go there every Sat afternoon in the early '70's with the quid my grandma gave me and buy 1 of the many joke things they used to sell such as plastic dog s**t;perfume that smelt of stink bombs (will never know y my grandma pulled a face when I gave her it as a present) and sugar cubes with fake spiders in.I also collected Glowmonsters which u bought in kit form and glued together then they glowed in the dark.I collected the set of about 10 but can only remember Dracula,Frankenstein and The Hunchback.Unfortunately these never appear on ebay!!

That shoe shop was called 'The Heel Bar' and I use to have a Saturday job there many moons ago!!!

Also I do remember Toyland, I lived on Crookes from age 7 to my early 20's and often went to the Southseas at Broomhill for a few. :)

Originally posted by dawny1

That shoe shop was called 'The Heel Bar' and I use to have a Saturday job there many moons ago!!!

Also I do remember Toyland, I lived on Crookes from age 7 to my early 20's and often went to the Southseas at Broomhill for a few. :)

Hi Dawny

When you worked at the heel bar did mick brooks own it ??

Can't remember his name but he had dark hair and thick glasses there was an older lady there too I think it was his mum and a young blonde lad who I also think was a relative.

I use to work on Saturdays and was always told to ask customers if they wanted their shoes soling as well as heeling. :D

Hi camouflage, well it all depends on when in the 70s we are talking about cause im blonde was once young and also worked for mick brooks at crooks. I was there early 70s( 72-74) ish and i know ivan last time i saw him he was selling cars. I dont remember dawn but the young lady who worked there after dawn remembers her. heard from ivan recently?

Archived