Panorama about Oldham

Did anyone just see the episode of Panorama about Oldham?

In one bar, people were queueing up like in a shop for their drink. In my opinion, this is a recipe for disaster, another decision made by someone clueless in an office.

If people are intoxicated, why on earth would they stand quietly in the bar for 20 minutes to get served? It will either cause more trouble with queue jumping, or the bar will fast go out of business.

Do you think we have such a problem in Sheffield? I must admit, I'm 27 now and have been going out regularly in Sheffield since I was 16. I think the last proper fight I saw (punches thrown, involving more than 2 people) was at least 5 years ago when I didn't know any better than going to Kingdom.

Does the cheaper end of town suffer from trouble? Such as where the Bedroom bar, Walkabout and Westways are? Around Devonshire Green, I've not seen any trouble and whenever I see the police out and about, friendly chat and banter seems to be the only things they need to put up with.

Three times, an edition of Panorama has discussed a subject about which I actually know a good deal. All three times, almost everything they reported was complete and utter nonsense, bordering on outright lies.

I tend to assume that all the other editions, dealing with subjects on which I am less informed, are probably just as accurate as those three.

Yeah, there are not many fist fights in Sheffield now.....just stabbings and drive by shootings.

But there isn't. OK, there is if you look for it.

From my personal experience (someone who just wants to have a good time and a few drinks) I have almost never seen any trouble.

I think the main problems are in the small towns, where people tend to know each other. Take Rotherham or Barnsley, almost guaranteed to see a mass brawl.

Be interested to know of anyone who has experience of regular violence in the city centre on Fri & Sat nights because I don't encounter any.

Yeah, there are not many fist fights in Sheffield now.....just stabbings and drive by shootings.

One shooting a year, over the last seven years, according to the Star tonight, one, perhaps two of them a drive by. Yes, epidemic proportions, in this city, definitely :o .

I saw that bar, you queue as if in a post office and drinks MUST be more than 75p a shot.

This is all tinkering around the outskirts, if pubs are making money all night by serving drunks (which is against the law) then they should pay to police lawless, drunken yobs.

At the moment, we pay.

ERM.....none would be more acceptable.....just like it was before times changed?

You probably have more chance in winning the lottery than being a victim of a drive by shooting. I wouldn't worry about it if I was you.

Archived