Panorama about Oldham

Pubs/clubs to close at 12/1am? These places are open far too long, the Blair lot thought the Brits would be able to cope with the European 24 drinking culture...it clearly can't.

I don't think the problem has got worse since the 24 hour drinking came into effect.

By telling everyone to close at the same time, you are creating a period of chaos where everyone is on the street. This is what the 24 hour drinking tried to change. Problem is, in Sheffield at least most bars still close at the same time anyway.

Pubs/clubs to close at 12/1am? These places are open far too long, the Blair lot thought the Brits would be able to cope with the European 24 drinking culture...it clearly can't.

Can you tell us which Sheffield pubs are open 24 hours a day or are you just a tabloid reader making sweeping generalisations?

The queueing system is nothing new. I remember seeing it at one of those awful family clubs at a caravan park at Chapel St Leonards about 10 years ago.

I'm not sure whether it would go down quite as well in Varsity on West St!

Did anyone just see the episode of Panorama about Oldham?

In one bar, people were queueing up like in a shop for their drink. In my opinion, this is a recipe for disaster, another decision made by someone clueless in an office.

If people are intoxicated, why on earth would they stand quietly in the bar for 20 minutes to get served? It will either cause more trouble with queue jumping, or the bar will fast go out of business.

I haven't seen it yet, but saw the trailer. The idea seemed to me to probably as I've highlighted in my bold. One reason I think is if people can't get served in town, they'll just drink more at home first. There's a growing trend for this as it is, perhaps currently down to lack of money though.

Really? When I used to go out at 18+, when it was 11pm pub closing in town, and 2pm club closing, I saw countless amounts of trouble at both times. People guzzling drinks down before the pubs closed, then trouble in the queues of clubs as everyone was heading for them at the same time. Then trouble at taxi ranks, and food shops after 2.

When I go to town now, it much more relaxed, and I've rarely seen any bother.

Archived