Folk from Norway. Tommorrow!

the bard

KALBAKKEN and ANNA HAIGH (LIVE)

KALBAKKEN is a suburb of Oslo where the city starts melting into the forest; it is also a half Norwegian sibling duo who rework traditional Norwegian folksong half recalled from childhood and meticulously researched in libraries round Scandinavia.

"Beautiful and haunting Scandinavian folk by way of Manchester. There's pretty much everything you might want in these songs: beauty, dissonance, tradition, experimentation. Though they are all sung in languages I don't understand, the phrasing, the melodies and the music still speak to me - these are folk songs that are connected at some genetic level between countries, cultures and continents.“ AMERICANA UK

ANNA HAIGH - Sheffield based acoustic folk artist who missed out on solo artist of the year to Richard Hawley at the SSMA music awards. Beautiful and beguiling. One of Sheffield’s best kept secrets.

WEDNESDAY 12th AUGUST 2009

THE SHAKESPEARE

146-148 Gibraltar St,

Sheffield

S3 8UB

TICKETS ON THE DOOR £3. DOORS 8.30pm.

KALBAKKEN and ANNA HAIGH (LIVE)

KALBAKKEN is a suburb of Oslo where the city starts melting into the forest; it is also a half Norwegian sibling duo who rework traditional Norwegian folksong half recalled from childhood and meticulously researched in libraries round Scandinavia.

"Beautiful and haunting Scandinavian folk by way of Manchester. There's pretty much everything you might want in these songs: beauty, dissonance, tradition, experimentation. Though they are all sung in languages I don't understand, the phrasing, the melodies and the music still speak to me - these are folk songs that are connected at some genetic level between countries, cultures and continents.“ AMERICANA UK

ANNA HAIGH - Sheffield based acoustic folk artist who missed out on solo artist of the year to Richard Hawley at the SSMA music awards. Beautiful and beguiling. One of Sheffield’s best kept secrets.

WEDNESDAY 12th AUGUST 2009

THE SHAKESPEARE

146-148 Gibraltar St,

Sheffield

S3 8UB

TICKETS ON THE DOOR £3. DOORS 8.30pm.

Owt on tonight?

Archived