Charles kirkby and sons

eidith

started work at kirkbys in 53-54 on arundel street names that i remember old george albert ashton morton the foreman terry twelvetrees brian nuts johnny burke harry milner cliff roberts clive robertson jeff hutchinson tom sharp the two marians harry the polisher ray brown who i met some months ago in town he he must have worked there for 50 years it must have been a record if i new ray's number i would phone him ive still got that oh boy LP he gave me ron hudson pete webster john slater ron glossop all those different areas the mill the polishers the sanders the fitters the liners the L shaped makers shop where i worked it was a pleasant place to work in but the wages were'nt very good Kirkbys started in about 1860 originally across howard street then further along arundel street then down to the bottom of the moor i reckon thats about 145 years one other thing that i remember Mary Gentle's chip shop smashin the shop is still there but after55years it's a bit different RG

started work at kirkbys in 53-54 on arundel street names that i remember old george albert ashton morton the foreman terry twelvetrees brian nuts johnny burke harry milner cliff roberts clive robertson jeff hutchinson tom sharp the two marians harry the polisher ray brown who i met some months ago in town he he must have worked there for 50 years it must have been a record if i new ray's number i would phone him ive still got that oh boy LP he gave me ron hudson pete webster john slater ron glossop all those different areas the mill the polishers the sanders the fitters the liners the L shaped makers shop where i worked it was a pleasant place to work in but the wages were'nt very good Kirkbys started in about 1860 originally across howard street then further along arundel street then down to the bottom of the moor i reckon thats about 145 years one other thing that i remember Mary Gentle's chip shop smashin the shop is still there but after55years it's a bit different RG

I also started work there in about 64, I was in the "L"shaped makers shop, Harry Milner was the foreman, Pete Webster was there, old George, Terry Twelvetrees was in charrge of the sanding shop, I saw him a few years after at his relations pub near the corner of Brightside Lane and Newhall Rd. then years after met him in Mablethorpe, where he was living, he was car park attendent there, and was very friendly with my wifes uncle who had a boarding house there. I remember Harry used to bring the wages round in indevidual little tins.

i worked at kirkbys 1962ish to 1965ish,used to play football and cricket with ray brown,married marie dunn who was a liner.knew most of them you have mentioned.tom sharpe was in charge of the sanding shop were i worked,albert was the guy who made the tools for the mouldings with roy hobson in the same shop.had some great times with the lads also watching the girls bopping to the music at dinner break.

Is this the Charles Kirkby as on Sidney Street? Are they still in operation or have they closed? Reason for asking is that I was around that area doing some photography earlier this year and most of the premises around that area are now long-abandoned and derelict.

i worked there from 97 till it closed in 2006 .I worked first in the assembly shop along side of ann fox and lynsey bellamy then when they shut that shop down i worked in the makers pete webster was the works manager ,Worked with ron hudson ray brown bernard sanderson john slater. Mavis buxton was in charge of the liners she went on to marry philip shirt who was to become manager after the boss mr thompson retired.I enjoyed my time at kirkbys and if it wasnt for them closing down i would have proberbly have still been there.

Archived