Firth park grammar school

Jon

Sorry if I have just just screwed up the previous entry. I  meaning to highlight how unusual it was to be able to have the opportunity to learn the Russian language at a time when international politics had created a demand for educated Russian speakers. I was discussing this recently with a chap who had first hand experience of this during his time of diplomatic dealings with Russia.

• 1 year later...
On 07/06/2009 at 16:29, Gormenghast said:

I know there are other threads, but did anyone go there in these years when HJS Wilson was head?

i left in 64. Wilson delegated to Duke Wetherill and Miss Howard screened most attempts to see him. HJS Wilson 

was lazy and turnover of staff appeared high in the early 60s.

from  Haig-Langsett 

On 07/06/2009 at 21:26, Gormenghast said:

I know there are other threads about FPGS, but did anyone go there between 60 and 65 that I may remember?

Yes I did, I wore blue

On 09/06/2009 at 18:57, Gormenghast said:
algy said:

the worst was ******.

QUOTE]

Yes indeed.

I remember all of these people Algy. Some 'proper' teachers, and some not so.

And I remember the horrible black and blue bruises on people that were inflicted on them with his range of canes. What would happen if that went on today?

Pupils I knew were Steve Rowley, Peter Hunt, Mick Parkin, Anthony Hawke, Melvyn Smith, John Pilley, Derek Sunderland, John Thompson, Dennis Longden, Evander Eugene Bramhall, Terry Reid amongst others.

And the school photos are priceless. If you download them and look at them with windows picture viewer you can increase the size and probably pick out people you knew.

Do look at the site, it's full of information.

Cheers

GG.

I was there 60 to 65, I remember most of those names, I can add Tommy Eyers, for a year, Steve Steeples, John Knighton, and there was a Jehovah's Witness, who I'm remembering as Appleyard, but that might be because of the TV prog, so it might be Appleton or similar.