Proposed closure of Leppings Lane on match days - have your say

Hi all,

Council officers have come to me with a proposal to close Leppings Lane to cars on match days.

The proposal is for an experimental order closing Leppings Lane to traffic before, during and after Sheffield Wednesday home games.

The idea is to make it safer for fans on foot and to make it easier to police the matches.

I posted this on Facebook and on my blog yesterday and so far the reaction has not been favourable - but I want to know what you guys on here think.

Personally as a local resident I would find it a real pain - but maybe people who walk this way when they come to matches would think different?

Let me know what you think!

UPDATE: I have just looked at the plans and noticed that this also involves closing Catch Bar Lane between Middlewood Road and Parkside Road. This seems very unwise to me!

UPDATE 2: Anyone wishing to object to these proposals can do so by writing to:

Les Sturch, Director of Development Services, 2-10 Carbrook Hall Road, Sheffield S9 2DB

or e-mailing les.sturch@sheffield.gov.uk.

Edited by Umeeksk

I always thought closing the road just as the match finished worked, meaning the large number of supporters who come out that way were safe. It must be closed for 15-30 minutes (depending on the size of the crowd) and it makes sense.

However, closing it before and during does seem a little excessive.

I can understand your concern and appreciate you finding it a real pain but I'm sure you are aware of the benefit to the local economy that the football supporters bring in.

Have the council offered a viable alternative for through traffic to Leppings Lane?

When United are at home the Police quite often close Bramall Lane to traffic before and after the match. As long as people make themselves aware of match times then they can plan their journeys around this.

Have the council offered a viable alternative for through traffic to Leppings Lane?

Yes through a bus gate at Hillsborough corner !!

It's about time another route was planned around Claywheels lane to Middlewood round around the Winn Gardens area !!!

It's not just Match days this is a problem !!!

It's about time another route was planned around Claywheels lane to Middlewood round around the Winn Gardens area !!!

That's just ridiculous and demonstates how ill thought out these bus gates are.

They have always closed leppings lane on match days usually about 14:30 till 15:00ish then again 15mins before match ends or at least they used to.So i take it then that there will be a proposal as well to close bramall lane and john street then??

Would it make any difference if its closed you cant go down it,when the fans come out your at a stand still any way.

Completely agree with this idea, and it's been mooted for a while as a way to open up the Claywheels Lane area to business, as well as relieve traffic in the Middlewood Road / Catch Bar Lane / Leppings Lane area.

I know the Council have asked for funding from the Department for Transport to do this project, but I'm not sure how far we have got! In fact I will ask for an update on this today...

Well it does not affect me but what about all the people who live in the side roads off Leppings Lane who have cars? They are effectively going to be either confined to the street or if they are out excluded from driving home. :loopy:

All the side streets are fenced off any way during match days and a copper stood at each end.