Proposed closure of Leppings Lane on match days - have your say

And watch the area fall into decline as a result.[if SWFC relocated to an out of town site]

The football club really doesn`t bring that much money into the area surrounding it. It probably brings more money into Dore or wherever the overpaid players live these days.

I have a great deal of sympathy for those inconvenieced but if the club relocated you would soon regret this.

Honestly, we wouldn`t.......

Nice resurrection of a pointless thread

It isn`t a pointless thread at all. I was Googling road closures for Wednesday football matches for a friend, she wanted to know when she could get in and out of her road. Interestingly there didn`t seem to be any official info, this thread came up, and any poster who thinks residents round there would miss the disruption involved in the football matches want`s correcting. Thus thread is a relevant today as it`s ever been because the disruption is real.

And as for resurrecting, it`s SF`s policy to add to existing thread rather than start new ones.

I can understand your concern and appreciate you finding it a real pain but I'm sure you are aware of the benefit to the local economy that the football supporters bring in.

Have the council offered a viable alternative for through traffic to Leppings Lane?

When United are at home the Police quite often close Bramall Lane to traffic before and after the match. As long as people make themselves aware of match times then they can plan their journeys around this.

You must be having a laugh, the ground has murdered this area just look around.

No permanent business can operate based on every other weekend the only ones that can profit permanently from it are the burger vans which come from outside the area and could do business anywhere. It has shut local pubs (made worst by the ground being able to put a match on any time they want at short notice - gate(no great loss it has to be said) and the travelers!). It makes the area a real ****hole, the ground should be made to clean up the rubbish after a match and pay for damages caused. They stopped paying for the policing bill so the police presence was reduced increasing the amount of anti social behavior suffered locally, i wish i could getaway with telling the council i am no longer paying my council tax. The presence of the ground and poor transport links is having a big detrimental effect on business in this area.

Most of the area around wadsleybridge /claywheels lane is designated as for industrial use and developers have not been allowed to build residential properties. Who would want to invest in a business here when you could be next to the parkway? Stupid council.

Must look at date before responding silly me.

Edited by Arthur Ritus
Just realise old thread, can calm down now and go back to sleep.

Lived around this area since 1995, way i see it is, as a Blade, the football was here way before i and many of us, was, so, just live with it... If it got to me that much then i would move from the area, it's not like i didn't know this is what it would be like.

Lived around this area since 1995, way i see it is, as a Blade, the football was here way before i and many of us, was, so, just live with it... If it got to me that much then i would move from the area, it's not like i didn't know this is what it would be like.

100% this. The traffic might be a bit annoying during match-days but it isn't like you don't know when the team is at home. A tiny bit of planning and you have no issues at all.

Will never understand all this moaning. Also, anybody who thinks the surrounding area doesn't benefit might want to check how many of the local shops (Middlewood area, Hillsborough area) would be there if it wasn't for the football.

100% this. The traffic might be a bit annoying during match-days but it isn't like you don't know when the team is at home. A tiny bit of planning and you have no issues at all.

Will never understand all this moaning. Also, anybody who thinks the surrounding area doesn't benefit might want to check how many of the local shops (Middlewood area, Hillsborough area) would be there if it wasn't for the football.

Utter utter drivel, have you not got eyes look at the state of penistone road around the ground. Like i said before no business can survive on a massive chaotic influx once every other week. The disruption is more damaging to local business. The shops are there for the large amount of residential area its central to oughtibridge wisewood loxley walkley midlewood hillsborough parson cross southy and so on, where's the next shopping centre that all these people would be going to if the most generous ground did not provide it for us. Both but especially middlewood were a lot better before stupid council put tram through middle as opposed to running on separate tracks like the "better areas" on the other side of sheffield which aren't plagued by an unscrupulous football ground.

Which football ground is responsible for crystalpeaks shops?

Perhaps that's why there are so many charity shops as football fans are notorious for buying second hand clothes.

I chose my house close to the ground because then the police used to block off the roads with railings and maintain a guard which actually made living close better than a short distance away. This was charged to the the ground but then the ground said it was not paying any more so the police presence was reduced and no more railings. The ground will do nothing for the local area.

There was a post on here a while ago about a rat here so big the guy thought it was a coypu, that's what the ground brings to the local area.

Utter utter drivel, have you not got eyes look at the state of penistone road around the ground. Like i said before no business can survive on a massive chaotic influx once every other week. The disruption is more damaging to local business. The shops are there for the large amount of residential area its central to oughtibridge wisewood loxley walkley midlewood hillsborough parson cross southy and so on, where's the next shopping centre that all these people would be going to if the most generous ground did not provide it for us. Both but especially middlewood were a lot better before stupid council put tram through middle as opposed to running on separate tracks like the "better areas" on the other side of sheffield which aren't plagued by an unscrupulous football ground.

Which football ground is responsible for crystalpeaks shops?

Perhaps that's why there are so many charity shops as football fans are notorious for buying second hand clothes.

I chose my house close to the ground because then the police used to block off the roads with railings and maintain a guard which actually made living close better than a short distance away. This was charged to the the ground but then the ground said it was not paying any more so the police presence was reduced and no more railings. The ground will do nothing for the local area.

There was a post on here a while ago about a rat here so big the guy thought it was a coypu, that's what the ground brings to the local area.

You are entitled to your opinion, but the way I read your post is: You live near the ground and have grown tired of doing so. Perhaps you should have considered that when you moved there. Hillsborough stadium has been there for a hell of a lot longer than you have.

Regarding businesses on Penistone Road, I haven't got a clue what you are on about, they seem to be doing rather well to me. There is some vacant land that is owned by people who refuse to develop it, I believe the plot across the ground is owned by Tesco, hopefully the new owners at Wednesday will bring forward some plans to develop the ground and get investment in the area going up, maybe they will even pry that land out of Tesco's cold dead hands.

You are entitled to your opinion, but the way I read your post is: You live near the ground and have grown tired of doing so. Perhaps you should have considered that when you moved there. Hillsborough stadium has been there for a hell of a lot longer than you have.

You`re wrong insofar as the roads weren`t shut for matches when a lot of the residents moved in to the area. That`s a relatively recent thing.

The thing which really annoys me is there is no dispensation for residents to carefully drive their cars to their houses not more than a few hundred yards (if that) from the barriers, they`re just stuck not being able to either get home or out from their homes. Even worse there`s no official easily found times for when the barriers will be up, or if there is I can`t find it. I can remember we once came back from holiday in the evening and arrived at Leppings Lane crossroads just as they were shutting the barrier. They wouldn't let us through, we had to go and park up with a car full of luggage and wait till we could get to our house. Anyone who hasn't experienced that shouldn`t dismiss this inconvenience so easily......

Edited by Justin Smith