Remar UK - what are your thoughts?

I once paid for one of their services and they don't have insurance. They broke a household appliance, but I couldn't claim for the repair or replacement and they wanted nothing to do with it.

Not very happy with it, won't be going back to them again.

Ive been in there shop the one at the bottom of St Mary's gate and I must admit I found it to be a very strange experience I felt as though I was being watched all the time. Then got grunted at by three burly blokes playing some sort of card game found something we were looking for when we looked at the price left laughing they wanted a fortune for second hand furniture.

wont go back charity or not

i didnt no all this about remar i just thought it was a second hand shop BUT ... what i heard a year or so back makes sense now. where our old shop was up herdings apparently on the end was a remar ( now a gym) an old bloke that used to come in my shop for a chat told me he once went inside the remar and wanted to buy a clock they had but there was no one round so he stuck his head thru the back to shout for assistance and was gob smacked to see lots of sleeping bags and beddings all laid out on the floor he ses there was loads of em. the man who ran the shop shot out and shood him away very quickly, he also said that a few nights later he was looking out of his flat window in the early hours and saw a large remar lorry pull up the driver looked about before opening the back doors and then lots of foraign looking people got out :o

Remar are a Portuguese charity who believe that they rehabilitate people from substance dependency. Primarily supporting Portuguese people, they do support British and other nationalities as well. When they support people who have a home base in the UK, they move them to a Remar project some distance from their home base. Their belief is that you must break the individual from everything that they know, as their family bonds etc. were part of their life as a dependent substance user. In order to ensure that they do this effectively they withhold the individual's benefit book/other means of self support, they accompany them to statutory and health appointments to ensure the person is not in a position to discuss with professionals the support they recieve from Remar, and they ensure that the person's daily life is filled with work. Particularly they do not believe in drug assisted withdrawals from substances of addiction and therefore would not support someone in accessing medication which would help them deal with the pain of withdrawal, or block future cravings.

In my past life I have worked with around 15-20 people who came to Sheffield due to support offered by Remar, and based on my experience I certainly wouldn't be purchasing their gardening/removal/whatever services.

ive had dealings with them in the past passing on old furniture from removals i wouldnt go near them with a barge pole after some of the stories ive heard from customers.

If you have any old furniture give it to St Vincent De Paul furniture store on queens rd.

All the stuff they get they GIVE away to the needy and they will collect it.

The number is 0114 2500707 its run by nuns that is a bit scarey but they are nice and Greatfull which remar aint.

Originally posted by libuse

........ In order to ensure that they do this effectively they withhold the individual's benefit book/other means of self support

Do Remar get to 'claim' the state benefits of the people being rehabilitated, libuse?

I could hazard a guess, but that would only be based on what people have told me rather than something I know personally.

My understanding is that people claim their own benefits, but then pay for food and lodgings. My guess would be that this isn't entirely the case, and that in some situations benefits are "claimed" for people. But, as I said, that's something I couldn't evidence.

I had a friend who became a member of Remar and she seems to find it very fulfilling. I saw her a few years ago working in the shop they then had near the bottom of London road and of course asked how she was.doing.

She was living in a community house with a lot of others and did everything with other Remar people. I asked if she'd like to come round to meet my new dog as she was often a visitor at my house in the past and her answer suprised me. She wouldn't be allowed to and if she did go anywhere she had a 'chaperone'.

Needless to say I wasn't very impressed with this rather heavy 'shepherding' as my friend was not a recovering alcoholic or drug user.

On a different note Remar are getting more and more picky about what furniture they are prepared to take off your hands and I have got friends who have asked Remar to come and collect things only to have them turn up and turn their noses up at the stuff.

Their shop on St Mary's gate really spooks me - a great barn of a place with dodgy blokes huddled together in their den...

I would have nothing against them running it as a commercial business but i don't like the way people are persuaded to give things away in the name of charity when i have heard that anything of real value gets passed onto antique dealers in cosy little deals and the junk gets sold at top end prices at their shops to the public. It seems to have an awfully sinister air for a christian charity.

Originally posted by WallBuilder

I had a friend who became a member of Remar and she seems to find it very fulfilling. I saw her a few years ago working in the shop they then had near the bottom of London road and of course asked how she was.doing.

She was living in a community house with a lot of others and did everything with other Remar people. I asked if she'd like to come round to meet my new dog as she was often a visitor at my house in the past and her answer suprised me. She wouldn't be allowed to and if she did go anywhere she had a 'chaperone'

Needless to say I wasn't very impressed with this rather heavy 'shepherding' as my friend was not a recovering alcoholic or drug user.

It seems to me from your post and libuse's post that Remar are a rather 'controlling' lot to say the least........