Pele 3 - Wednesday 1

Anyone remember Santos playing The Owls at Hillsborough in 1971 or 1972. Pele played briefly, I only got a ticket because I was a pupil at Parkside Road, just next to the ground. This was, of course, before the School was surrounded by quite as much traffic as I saw on my last visit to Sheffield.

I remember it too,am I right in thinking it should have played in the evening under floodlights,but was changed to the afternoon,the reason it sticks in my mind is because I did not go back to work in the afternoon!

Wednesday played Santos in the mid 1960's in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup I think.

Pele took a penalty and did a shuffle as he kicked it that was beyond belief beating Ron Springett who was no slouch in goal easily.

i remember how me and my dad felt sorry for Peles marker Peter Johnson who no matter how hard he tried couldn't get near him.

Originally posted by Snoopy

Wednesday played Santos in the mid 1960's in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup I think.

Pele took a penalty and did a shuffle as he kicked it that was beyond belief beating Ron Springett who was no slouch in goal easily.

i remember how me and my dad felt sorry for Peles marker Peter Johnson who no matter how hard he tried couldn't get near him.

I was stood on the Kop watching that penalty, and as you say Ron Springett didn't know which way it was going.

Pele, alongside George Best are in my opinion the greatest footballers ever to have pulled on a pair of boots.

Originally posted by Snoopy

Intercities was what is now the UEFA cup. Santos was a friendly or a testimonial:heyhey:

Ps Still Rate ron Springett to be better than Gordon Banks

The Brazilians were staying at the Grand Hotel at the time, and my dad happened to be staying at the same time.... Bless him, he managed to get me Pele's autograph...

Terrific..... until I later gave my autograph book to a lady who was a secretary at the Hillsborough ground. All I remember is that she was living at the Rutland Hotel on Glossop Road at the time, and took the book in order to get me the Wednesday squad signatures.....

Needless to say, I never saw it again....!

I was at the match between Wednesday and Santos, I can't remember the exact year, something like 1970, it was a midweek afternoon kick-off and I managed to get out of work early to be there, I was a young apprentice turner at Guest & Chrimes in Rotherham at the time.

I've always been a big George Best fan but have to admit Pele surely is and was the greatest player ever.

Archived