Pele 3 - Wednesday 1

The friendly game against Santos was indeed played on a midweek afternoon (23 Feb 1972). This was due to a three day week being imposed by the then PM the late Edward Heath, mainly to save electricity. Seemed strange in a packed Hillsborough without the electronic scoreboard at the back of the old kop beaming down the score!

It was an afternoon kick off due to the 3 day week. I think there were 45,000 there and was it 0-0? Tommy Craig has Pele's shirt. Knowing that Pele would be first off the pitch at the final whistle, he asked the ref to give him ( the original TC!) a nod just before he blew for full time. Craig moved over to near the tunnel and just waited for Pele to run into him! It was a friendly match, Santos did a mini-tour of the uk. It was also perhaps to do with the £100,000 they demanded in cash before kick off otherwise they wouldn't play. Hmmm.

My geography teacher at the time threatened me with the stick if I didn't turn up for school as he knew I was going. Walking down Penistone Road (hot pies inside!) guess who ran into me? Shame it wasn't the great man himself..... Tommy Craig...that is, it was my geography teacher. The only words he said were 'I'll say nothing if you say nothing'! Hope some of the above is right. Long Live the King!

Originally posted by WalkleyRich

Anyone remember Santos playing The Owls at Hillsborough in 1971 or 1972. Pele played briefly, I only got a ticket because I was a pupil at Parkside Road, just next to the ground. This was, of course, before the School was surrounded by quite as much traffic as I saw on my last visit to Sheffield.

Ive still got the Programme.

I was babysitting that evenong in the mid sixties for a Wednesday player called Billy Griffin who returned home after the match with Tony Kaye, Pete Swan AND Pele's shirt - which I was allowed to touch!!!!

Santos 4 Pigs 2???

I was at that match too and can assure you Santos were definitely NOT playing Sheffield United in that match.

They were playing Sheffield WEDNESDAY!! (the biggest supported team in Sheffield, the best ground Sheffield, the best manager in Sheffield (shortly to be proven) and the most successful winners of silverware in Sheffield.

PS,

A couple more defeats and you'll all be screaming for Warnock's head again ha ha ha.

Originally posted by Billy24

Santos 4 Pigs 2???

I was at that match too and can assure you Santos were definitely playing Sheffield wednesd*y in that match.

They were playing Sheffield WEDNESDAY!! (the biggest supported team in Sheffield, the best ground Sheffield, the best manager in Sheffield (shortly to be proven) and the most successful winners of silverware in Sheffield.

PS,

A couple more defeats and you'll all be screaming for Warnock's head again ha ha ha.

A couple of more defeats and you will be right were you belong

:clap: :clap: :clap::hihi::heyhey:

• 5 months later...
Intercities was what is now the UEFA cup. Santos was a friendly or a testimonial:heyhey:

Ps Still Rate ron Springett to be better than Gordon Banks

Yes, and so did, I for many years! Ron was without doubt Wednesday's greatest post-war keeper. We shall never see his like again!!

Banks did however finally win my vote as the countries number one after two brillaint World Cups.

Peter had a lot to live up to and whilst not being in Ron's class, was still a superb keeper. He was also a loyal servant of and a credit to the City of Sheffield. His passing at such a young age was extremely sad.

I remember both Springett's with gratitude and affection.

there seems to be several diffences of opinion with regard to the scoreline in the 1972 game. i went....bunked off school (I had a bad cold) and heard the next day that half the class was missing !!!!.....I seem to remember score being Owls 0 Santos 2 and yes ...Pele's leg was bandaged up...he obviously wasn't fit and only played so as not to let people down (and also probably the financial implications)

Archived