Pele 3 - Wednesday 1

Standonowl,

I believe your memory serves you correctly regarding the score. As for 'bunking off' [don't you remember, we actually called truant, 'wagging it'?], for some mysterious reason even Blades like my good self had colds and chest infections that day. I recall the great Pele's 'gammy leg' too.

Santos wouldn't play at Bramall Lane. They realised that the footballing wizardry of Currie, Woodward et al would prove too much for them.

Yep, I was there too, if I remember correctly we were given the afternoon off school, they must have known that most kids would be off ill:suspect: for that match, ps, I may not live in sheffield anymore but I am still an avid supporter of the owls.

It was an afternoon kick off due to the 3 day week. I think there were 45,000 there and was it 0-0? Tommy Craig has Pele's shirt. Knowing that Pele would be first off the pitch at the final whistle, he asked the ref to give him ( the original TC!) a nod just before he blew for full time. Craig moved over to near the tunnel and just waited for Pele to run into him! It was a friendly match, Santos did a mini-tour of the uk. It was also perhaps to do with the £100,000 they demanded in cash before kick off otherwise they wouldn't play. Hmmm.

My geography teacher at the time threatened me with the stick if I didn't turn up for school as he knew I was going. Walking down Penistone Road (hot pies inside!) guess who ran into me? Shame it wasn't the great man himself..... Tommy Craig...that is, it was my geography teacher. The only words he said were 'I'll say nothing if you say nothing'! Hope some of the above is right. Long Live the King!

The £100.000 was their match fee, they wanted and got it in cash. Wasnt this the second time they played Santos?. Or maybe memory is running wild.

• 2 years later...
I remember getting the day off school to see this match around 71. Can anyone remember Pele had a bandaged knee.

Yes - we all got the afternoon off school it was the first time I had been to Hillsborough - it was a fantastic opportunity to see a real life legend in Sheffield on a school day afternoon.

Archived