Frecheville shops of days gone by.

blade61

Remember Frecheville shops in this order (well nearly in order)

Bradleys Chipper,Halls Post office,Jamesons chemist,Masons drapers,Giles hardware shop (later split in two to accomodate Styans bakery) Hawnts the cobblers,Butlers newsagents,Wetheralls the bakers,Lyons hairdressers and Cal in the gents dept,Browns the butchers with Ernest,Shentalls the grocers,Vardeys the butchers later to be Portons greengrocers,a converted garage that used to be a paintshop where Smiths bread shop now is and Dels supermarket built on the old doctors deatched house.Dels later split in two to allow Fred Hartleys to move in.

Styans also had someone called Linda who lived facing the shops with brothers Stuart and Rowland and worked with their dad Jack at some time.

• 1 month later...

When I was approaching my teenhood in 1966 I used to go into the chemist shop on that shopping parade at Birley Moor Road, Frecheville not for Aspirin, Ribena, Lucozade or Noddy's but to climb the stairs to that fantastic toy shop upstairs. Airfix models, dinky toys, puzzles, potty-putty and loads of other toys, it was an eye opening experience for me. I always bought something, went downstairs then bought a barley sugar twist stick......oh yeah.

remember portons(butchers?)buy-wise,dells,fred hartleys,bradleys chippy,haunts shoe shop masons case(adverts for a bob a week)and butlers paper shop-i did 60 odd stars for£1 six pence a week-star cost 8 pence!