Frecheville shops of days gone by.

blade61

That garage that was on the main road.

I knew a guy that worked there his name was Roy Grundy.

Anyone remember him, I think he was off Thornbridge

I remember Roy, some other names from that time are, Stuart Hamilton, Dave Taylor, Brent Taylor, Ian Crowther, ring any bells?

• 2 weeks later...
That garage that was on the main road.

I knew a guy that worked there his name was Roy Grundy.

Anyone remember him, I think he was off Thornbridge

I remember Roy, some other names from that time are, Stuart Hamilton, Dave Taylor, Brent Taylor, Ian Crowther, ring any bells?

Can remember Stuart Hamilton.Brought up on Hayfield Crescent then moved just round the corner onto Thornbridge Drive.His family owned the Hamilton Paint & Decorating business.Stuart then went on to own Hamilton Plant at Attercliffe,Sheffield running JCBs and other earthmoving equipment

No, the king of Frecheville was Seargent Rayson !

Boy, was he big or wot ?

Sgt Rayson-Lived in the police house on Fox Lane / Thornbridge Drive junction and yes he was big ! Played there as a young un with his sons John and Chris and Sheila.Remember his black Ford Prefect on the drive.Nobody messed with Sgt.Rayson !!

all sounds familar, my mum knew everyone too. there was the lady who had the wool shop with the big blonde hair, i thought she was a film star :hihi:

YES that was jean .........from jeans wool shop!! iwas at school with her daughter

My Mum and I loved Jean`s Boutique, we bought all our knitting wool from there

Hello coop,

I don't know the origins of the pond, but it was a great place to play during the 50's/60's.

We used to say that the water came from a natural spring somewhere in the middle. At some times of the year water came out of another natural spring nearby, at the entrance to what used to be 2 rows of garages (since demolished and now called Churchdale mews). The water would come up through the broken tarmac and slowly run out onto Churchdale Road.

On the southern side of the pond (Brackenfield Grove side) was an overflow drain set into the pond edge which seemed to regulate the water in the pond.

Periodically this was opened up to allow the pond level to go down exposing all the edge walls and allowing the pond to be cleaned. The pond just seemed to refill on its own.

• 3 weeks later...
all sounds familar, my mum knew everyone too. there was the lady who had the wool shop with the big blonde hair, i thought she was a film star :hihi:

YES that was jean .........from jeans wool shop!! iwas at school with her daughter

i used to work there remember jean,natalie and cyril very well