Format for telephone numbers

GrahamY

I tend to judge a business on the service they offer, quality of product, friendliness, reputation etc, rather than their telephone number :hihi:

To give incorrect information to customers is a very bad start to any businesses dealings.

To provide a useable contact number is very important, and failure is a sign of a weak company.

I regularly get calls for a company who had my number before me. Their stationary obviously still has the old (my new) number on it.

I always tell callers that the company went out of business.

Obviously giving out inncorrect information has a detrimental effect on business as this company must have lost thousands by now. Do I feel bad? NO the answer is in their own hands.

The nature of their business, PRINTERS. :hihi:

I think there are clearly two sides to this argument - If I go into a shop and purchase the reasonably priced product I require, in a comfortable environment, whilst speaking to a friendly and helpful sales person, I would be 100% satisfied with the business they are providing.

Then, if on the way out, I look at the sign and notice they have not updated their telephone number, it would have absolutely no adverse affect on my positive opinion of the shop based on the service I had just received.

I think there are clearly two sides to this argument - If I go into a shop and purchase the reasonably priced product I require, in a comfortable environment, whilst speaking to a friendly and helpful sales person, I would be 100% satisfied with the business they are providing.

Then, if on the way out, I look at the sign and notice they have not updated their telephone number, it would have absolutely no adverse affect on my positive opinion of the shop based on the service I had just received.

Agreed, but for a printers to get their own number wrong???????? I would not want to use them, would you?

But if I saw the sign on the way in, I would doubt that they would be competent in providing a service.

Lets start naming companies with incorrect signage then:

- Guernsey Road Garage - still have a 0742 sign

- H Harrold and Son on Shalesmoor - have a 6 digit phone number on the sign, with no area code

- Wigham Intensive School of Motoring - thinks the area code is 01142.

Any more for any more??

I was having this argument with someone else, and he thinks a reason why they perhaps do signs in the format xxxxx xxx xxx is because most area codes in the country are five digits, and by putting the numbers in two blocks of three afterwards, then it looks better!

I would buy that argument, however having lived in Manchester for years, I never saw a single sign printed 0161x xxx xxx.

But if I saw the sign on the way in, I would doubt that they would be competent in providing a service.

Exactly. If they can't be bothered getting their sign right (Laziness? Cost cutting?) then what other corners are they cutting?

An incorrect sign shows a lack of self-respect and pride for their business IMHO.

I've seen shop-fronts with the old 5-digit phone numbers still on them - 65530 and 24120 ;)
Not only does the sign above my shop still have the old 6 digit number, we don't even have a phone! How bad is that? tsk!:P

*Imagines Ginger Daddy's head spinning round faster and faster, and then exploding! :hihi:

Archived