Format for telephone numbers

GrahamY

busted .................... I hadnt thought of that ......... oh forum wise guy.

I actually live in an area served by a Chesterfield telephone exchange

Fair enough. That would make sense with an 01246 number.

Interesting, I'll bear this in mind.

Bear what in mind?

I'd quite like an 0114 3xx xxxx number!

EDIT: Have just figured that your pet hate is the way the code is written, rather than your new 0114 3xx xxxx number!!

I have an 0114 234 xxxx number from Virgin (was my old BT number) and I now have 0114 360 xxxx from Skype.

So if you really want one....google Skype and get one....cost about £3 per month for unlimited landline number and skype to skype is free. :D

In Stocksbridge and Oughtibridge, in the eighties, you could "miss out" the "88" (Stocksbridge) and "86" (Oughtibridge) prefixes, and just dial the last four digits, and be connected.

I also remember being able to dial "98" to make a call between Sheffield and my aunt's house in Barnsley. Her number was "Darton 42XX" so we'd dial 98(Barnsley) 78 (Darton) 42XX (987842XX ) None of this "01226" gubbins. Rotherham and, I think, Chesterfield also had similar "quick-dial codes.

Stocksbridge and Oughtibridge were two of the exchanges that had a 'Trombone' system. When you started dialling, you were connected to Sheffield exchange. If it was detected as a local call, the Sheffield connection dropped out.

The 'Quick-dial codes' you mention were in fact cheats. Calls to Barnsley were local calls, but Darton was a Trunk call, and was charged at a higher rate.

Google for Strowger for some good links, especially for sounds.

I was responsible for the engineering of STD (Subscriber Trunk Dialling) and ISD (International Subscriber Dialling) in Sheffield, Rotherham and Worksop.

Transit Switching was introduced to complete the availability of STD in the UK.

Archived