An observation from a non-Sheffielder

spinac

So what is your final conclusion spinac ? :roll:

I love you all ... size doesn't matter ... Sheffield's a great city ...

... but now I understand where the 4th largest city stat comes from and also why it doesn't feel like the 4th largest city ... it's all to do with urban area/metropolitan area/conurbations http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1307

... and The City of Sheffield is bigger than the City of London! (a small resident population of fewer than 10,000 - http://www.visitlondon.com/areas/villages/the-city-of-london)

It's good to have have a grasp of facts and put things in perspective, wouldn't you agree?

Sheffield as defined by the local authority (city council) boundary is the 4th largest in terms of size of population. But, unlike other big cities, Sheffield's boundary encompasses all the city's outer suburbs (such as Dore), huge tracts of Green Belt countryside (such as the Loxley, Rivelin and Mayfield valleys), freestanding small towns (Stocksbridge and Chapeltown). Other big cities have their council boundaries within their built-up area and the outer suburbs and rural hinterlands are in adjoining councils' areas. So Sheffield appears to be the 4th largest city in population terms but really it is nowhere near that rank if you compare the actual geographies of different cities.

Sheffield as defined by the local authority (city council) boundary is the 4th largest in terms of size of population. But, unlike other big cities, Sheffield's boundary encompasses all the city's outer suburbs (such as Dore), huge tracts of Green Belt countryside (such as the Loxley, Rivelin and Mayfield valleys), freestanding small towns (Stocksbridge and Chapeltown). Other big cities have their council boundaries within their built-up area and the outer suburbs and rural hinterlands are in adjoining councils' areas. So Sheffield appears to be the 4th largest city in population terms but really it is nowhere near that rank if you compare the actual geographies of different cities.
In other words, they aren't in that city at all, but in other towns and cities? How exactly does that work?

eta - Looking at their ward boundaries, Leeds now encompasses Wetherbay and various other small towns.

Does anybody sensible REALLY care whether we are the 4th biggest, the 39th or whatever? The main thing is, even if we are smaller than Birmingham, say, I know where I'd rather live. I've tried Midlands beer, and it's amazing what you can do with a weasel!

Exactly .... and if Chesterfield, Rotherham, Barnsley were all smack bang at the side of Sheff, it would start to have a similar feel to the other metropolitan areas.

im sure Barnsley,chesterfield,rotherham and you forgot worksop.

would shudder at the idea of being refered to as something like

Greater sheffield :hihi:

All these data are from Wikipedia so are as suspect as you want to believe

List of towns and cities in England by population Sheffield 5th 439,866

List of English districts by population Sheffield 3rd 530,300

List of the 25 largest urban areas in the UK Sheffield 9th 640,720

see the following pages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_and_cities_in_England_by_population

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_districts_by_population

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_conurbations_in_the_United_Kingdom

so for all those folk claiming fact status for their favorite bit of data perhaps you should consider the source and the limits before you claim something in absolutist terms. Sheffield isn't 4th in any of these lists, but I'm sure one could be found where it is.

My bold.

This is the most up to date list for population (highlighted) but doesn't include London (again highlighted).

So when you take London into account, as most people do, then we are definitely 4th.

List of English districts by population

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The figures are mid-year population estimates for 2007 from the Office for National Statistics[1], updated to reflect the 2009 structural changes to local government in England.

All listed below are non-metropolitan districts except for the London boroughs, metropolitan boroughs, the Isle of Wight and those that are labelled as sui generis.

Over 300,000

Rank District Population Type Ceremonial county

1 Birmingham 1,010,200 Metropolitan borough, City (1889) West Midlands

2 Leeds 761,100 Metropolitan borough, City (1893) West Yorkshire

3 Sheffield 530,300 Metropolitan borough, City (1893) South Yorkshire

4 Cornwall 529,500 Unitary Authority Cornwall

5 County Durham 504,900 Unitary Authority County Durham

6 Bradford 497,400 Metropolitan borough, City (1897) West Yorkshire

7 Manchester 458,100 Metropolitan borough, City (1853) Greater Manchester

8 Wiltshire 452,500 Unitary Authority Wiltshire

9 Liverpool 435,500 Metropolitan borough, City (1880) Merseyside

10 Bristol 416,400 Unitary Authority, City (1542) Bristol

Anyone who isn't an inbred local can tell you that Sheffield is not the 4th biggest city in England in terms of what there is to do, I don't care what these populations figures say.

I would put it more 8th or 9th. It does not feel like a city - if you pop into London, Birmingham, Leeds Liverpool or Manchester after 6pm on a weekday then the city centre will still be buzzing. Unlike Sheffield where everyone has bolted home to their lil villages on the outskirts.

If you like the quiet life however, Sheffield is a good place to live..

Anyone who isn't an inbred local can tell you that Sheffield is not the 4th biggest city in England in terms of what there is to do, I don't care what these populations figures say.

What would you like to do that you can't do in Sheffield?

What would you like to do that you can't do in Sheffield?

Visit the castle. Cross the oldest bridge over the river which separates one half of the city and the other half. Direct a visitor to our most popular tourist attraction. Take a picture of the latest award winning building. Calm down I'm a native now, I've been here long enough. Just face facts. Sheffield's not that big

AND

nobody wants it to be bigger than it is. Do they?

Archived