An observation from a non-Sheffielder

spinac

Sheffield as defined by the local authority (city council) boundary is the 4th largest in terms of size of population. But, unlike other big cities, Sheffield's boundary encompasses all the city's outer suburbs (such as Dore), huge tracts of Green Belt countryside (such as the Loxley, Rivelin and Mayfield valleys), freestanding small towns (Stocksbridge and Chapeltown). Other big cities have their council boundaries within their built-up area and the outer suburbs and rural hinterlands are in adjoining councils' areas. So Sheffield appears to be the 4th largest city in population terms but really it is nowhere near that rank if you compare the actual geographies of different cities.

Which therefore makes Sheffield even bigger because a) it ranks high in poulation figures and b) it's large in size because of the area it covers rural areas too.

Fact: Sheffield's bigger than london http://www.visitlondon.com/areas/villages/the-city-of-london

Fact: Sheffield's bigger than london http://www.visitlondon.com/areas/villages/the-city-of-london

(The City has a small resident population of fewer than 10,000.)

Now, when you take your fingers out of your ears and listen, somebody will be saying. Hey calm down. What the hell are you on about Sheffield's bigger than london? That's just plain ridiculous. You've got to look at the bigger picture. And when you look at the bigger picture for London, Sheffield AND every other city in the country, and not just at some administrative boundary and associated stats - when you look at the bigger urban area, Sheffield is the 9th largest urban area.

All I'm hearing back is

Sheffield's the 4th largest but we like it small

Sheffield isn't important. But its nice.

End of!

Careful ... size and importance are different matters. I'm not that big, but - no that doesn't work, I'm not that important either.

Think of Sheffield as the Kylie of British cities. Not that big, but there's many who'd like to go there.

Sheffield isn't important. But its nice.

End of!

I would say Sheffield is very important!The city that gave the world football!invented stainless steel! at one point produced 80% of Europe`s steel! and a city that now has sporting facilities that are unrivaled in most of the UK!and is the base for a number of sports!

Careful ... size and importance are different matters. I'm not that big, but - no that doesn't work, I'm not that important either.

Think of Sheffield as the Kylie of British cities. Not that big, but there's many who'd like to go there.

We have been over this mate, the stats show Sheffield is the 4th largest city!it may not SEEM as big as other cities, this is mainly due to Sheffield starting it`redevelopment later then the other big cities!hence the lack of big built up urban areas!

Now, when you take your fingers out of your ears and listen, somebody will be saying. Hey calm down. What the hell are you on about Sheffield's bigger than london? That's just plain ridiculous.

It may be ridiculous, but it's also true. The original City of London covers a tiny area, and ranks just about last on any list of cities. Even Ripon is bigger than London (though Ely may not be!)

What we have here is a simple inability to distinguish between a city and an urban area. You've admitted, many times over, what the difference is, so how is it that you're still trying to argue there is not one?

Archived