An observation from a non-Sheffielder

spinac

We have been over this mate, the stats show Sheffield is the 4th largest city!it may not SEEM as big as other cities, this is mainly due to Sheffield starting it`redevelopment later then the other big cities!hence the lack of big built up urban areas!

Yeah we've been over this. The stats show Sheffield is bigger than London! Funny it doesn't seem that way. Must be some kind of illusion. http://www.at-bristol.org.uk/Optical/SizeConstancy_main.htm

I guess what I find interesting is whether Sheffielders want their city to be bigger or smaller. What I'm hearing is a mantra that Sheffield is really big, but actually we want to be really small.

Do Sheffielders want further development and to be able to challenge bigger rivals (not that there are any mind) or would they be happy to halt all future development and put up "Thank you for driving carefully through our village" signs on the outskirts? :bigsmile: just asking ...

Yeah we've been over this. The stats show Sheffield is bigger than London! Funny it doesn't seem that way. Must be some kind of illusion.

It is not an illusion, it's merely people being ignorant of what constitutes a city and what constitutes an urban conglomeration, and expecting the two to be synonymous. They are not.

It may be ridiculous, but it's also true. The original City of London covers a tiny area, and ranks just about last on any list of cities. Even Ripon is bigger than London (though Ely may not be!)

What we have here is a simple inability to distinguish between a city and an urban area. You've admitted, many times over, what the difference is, so how is it that you're still trying to argue there is not one?

I've accepted from the OP that in actual fact according to stats, Sheffield IS the 4th largest city - hey and what do you know London is TINY. Well, there's a thing. Who would have believed it? What's going on? Well it's all down to where the administrative boundaries are drawn

... ahhh ... so if we stand back objectively and look at the big picture ... what happens?

Can you see the boat now?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Qvti2ehEQ8k/R-CVFQQfXvI/AAAAAAAACes/yomhEfK_cfs/s400/male_optical_illusion.jpg1.jpg

Yeah we've been over this. The stats show Sheffield is bigger than London! Funny it doesn't seem that way. Must be some kind of illusion. http://www.at-bristol.org.uk/Optical/SizeConstancy_main.htm

I guess what I find interesting is whether Sheffielders want their city to be bigger or smaller. What I'm hearing is a mantra that Sheffield is really big, but actually we want to be really small.

Do Sheffielders want further development and to be able to challenge bigger rivals (not that there are any mind) or would they be happy to halt all future development and put up "Thank you for driving carefully through our village" signs on the outskirts? :bigsmile: just asking ...

What about these stats!they are NOT an illusion, they are fact!and they show Sheffield to be England`s 4th largest city! The bottom one being the most up to date!

Largest Cities in the UK

This is a list of the largest cities in the United Kingdom. Note that the population statistic for London refers to Greater London which according to the "official definition" is not considered a city.

City Population

London 7.2 Million

Birmingham 992000

Leeds 720000

Glasgow 560000

Sheffield 512000

Bradford 467000

Edinburgh 450000

Liverpool 440000

Manchester 420000

Bristol 380000

With a population of more than seven million people, London, the UK's capital, has no equal among its UK peers. Britain's only other city with a population of more than one million is the West Midland city of Birmingham. With Leeds, Glasgow and Sheffield, there are only three more British cities with a population of more than 500,000.

CityMayor's table of top UK cities is made up of the country's 200 largest cities, towns and districts. Not all areas listed in the table are urban in nature. For example, South Gloucestershire, north of Bristol, is predominantly rural, while Bath and North East Somerset comprises the spa city of Bath and the mainly rural area of North East Somerset. In Scotland, the Scottish Borders comprises the markets towns of Peeble and Galashiels as well as large areas of rural and uncultivated hill areas.

Largest UK cities

Cities, towns & districts Population Males (% of total)

London 7,074,265 49.12

Birmingham 1,020,589 49.42

Leeds 726,939 49.43

Glasgow 616,430 47.73

Sheffield 530,375 49.73

Bradford 483,422 49.32

Liverpool 467,995 48.80

Edinburgh 448,850 48.29

Manchester 430,818 49.33

Bristol

It is not an illusion, it's merely people being ignorant of what constitutes a city and what constitutes an urban conglomeration, and expecting the two to be synonymous. They are not.

Sorry HN, thought your comments were aimed at me ... I get it, I promise! 4th largest city, 9th largest urban area. Both are true.

Sorry HN, thought your comments were aimed at me ... I get it, I promise! 4th largest city, 9th largest urban area. Both are true.

Both are true. The highlighted one is the only meaningful one as it's the only one that gives you the population of the city. The clues in that four letter word c i t y!:)

Oooh, did you know, that I looked on a website and it says that Sheffield is the 8th largest city!!

Hmm, I wonder what is going on? Maybe people are making stuff up about the size of Sheffield?

I wonder why?

Do you mean to tell me that there hasn't been a survey of Sheffield, with a little bloke walking around the whole perimeter with an actual tape measure and someone to prove that they have measured it correctly? Strange!

:D

Both are true. The highlighted one is the only meaningful one as it's the only one that gives you the population of the city. The clues in that four letter word c i t y!:)

You can blinker yourself as much as you like to the bigger picture. Why don't you use the fact that Sheffield IS bigger than London (see earlier post). Sheffield is bigger than London ... but only if you ignore what's around the squre mile. Sheffield IS bigger than many other cities. But only if you ignore what's around the other cities.

It's ridiculous to claim Sheffield is bigger than London. You have to look at the bigger picture. Here's the bigger picture http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1307

I've also asked in an earlier post about what Sheffielders want for their city.

Do you want it to be bigger than it is, more development, more city centre activity, more tourists, more employers etc - or are you happy with the boast that Sheffield is the biggest village in the country?

Seems to me you can't have it both ways.

Either you're really big and want to compete with the big boys or you're happy being a sleepy little backwater.

When I was trying to resolve my impression of Sheffield being smaller than other cities I've visited against the mantra "we're 4th biggest, we're 4th biggest" I found out that Sheffield is 9th largest urban area. This explains to me what I was feeling about the city.

Now we've established the facts about where Sheffield is ... where would it like to be? Bigger, smaller, exactly what it is - ie 4th largest city, 9th largest urban area?

Graham Turner described Sheffield as "a great city with an international reputation which is capital of nowhere".

I'd rather have a city with an low to average population but with lots of things to do, than a city containing 3/4 of a million people and nowhere good to go.

Put one person in a room with a book and he's relatively happy. Put ten people in the same room and you have boredom, arguments and petty fights and squabbles. Hey presto, it's the Sheffield Forum!

Archived