An observation from a non-Sheffielder

spinac

You can blinker yourself as much as you like to the bigger picture. Why don't you use the fact that Sheffield IS bigger than London (see earlier post). Sheffield is bigger than London ... but only if you ignore what's around the squre mile. Sheffield IS bigger than many other cities. But only if you ignore what's around the other cities.

You keep comparing Sheffield to London as though that actually means anything. As I'm sure you're well aware (or maybe not) London is so large that the whole political and economic set up of the place differs from other, smaller more regional cities and doesn't have the clear bounderies that somewhere like Sheffield has.

It's ridiculous to claim Sheffield is bigger than London. You have to look at the bigger picture. Here's the bigger picture http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1307

It depends what you mean when you're talking about London. However Sheffield is bigger than the city of Westminster.

I've also asked in an earlier post about what Sheffielders want for their city.

And what do you want for Sheffield?

Do you want it to be bigger than it is, more development, more city centre activity, more tourists, more employers etc - or are you happy with the boast that Sheffield is the biggest village in the country?

We'll have both thank you very much.

Seems to me you can't have it both ways.

Why not? After all you want it both ways when you say it's the 4th largest and the 9th largest.:P

Either you're really big and want to compete with the big boys or you're happy being a sleepy little backwater.

To quote Tory er.....sorry Tony Blair. There is a third way.

When I was trying to resolve my impression of Sheffield being smaller than other cities I've visited against the mantra "we're 4th biggest, we're 4th biggest" I found out that Sheffield is 9th largest urban area. This explains to me what I was feeling about the city.

Then we've achieved that magical thing of giving the impression we're smaller than everybody else whilst actually being bigger. Maybe we should be called the Tardis city.:idea:

Now we've established the facts about where Sheffield is ... where would it like to be? Bigger, smaller, exactly what it is - ie 4th largest city, 9th largest urban area?

I think we should go for increasing our city population by another 100,000 or so but do it in a way that it actually appears we're getting smaller. Now wouldn't that be a good selling point?;)

Hi six45ive,

The comaprison to London IS meaningless - that's exactly my point. So is the mantra about Sheffield being the 4th largest city.

The population of the City of Sheffield is bigger than the population of the City of London and the City of Westminster combined but so what?

The population of the City of Sheffield is bigger than the population of the Cities of Nottingham, Liverpool and Newcastle, but so what?

The 4th largest city mantra seemed daft to me based on personal experience. It now makes sense:

When you compare populations of cities by their strict city boundaries, you're not exactly comparing like with like. The City of London's boundary defines a very small part of a much bigger urban area - as is the case with other cities. Sheffield's City boundary is much wider. What would the population of Sheffield be if you only looked at "the heart of the city"?

In the words of the meerkats - "simples"

Do I personally wish Sheffield was bigger? Yes! Personally I like the vibe of progressive big cities. Which is where all this began last Friday when I was admiring the big wheel on Fargate. The native Sheffielder hated it. It's what a city the size of Sheffield needs for goodness sake - and many other attractions.

Hi six45ive,

The comaprison to London IS meaningless - that's exactly my point. So is the mantra about Sheffield being the 4th largest city.

The population of the City of Sheffield is bigger than the population of the City of London and the City of Westminster combined but so what?

The population of the City of Sheffield is bigger than the population of the Cities of Nottingham, Liverpool and Newcastle, but so what?

The 4th largest city mantra seemed daft to me based on personal experience. It now makes sense:

When you compare populations of cities by their strict city boundaries, you're not exactly comparing like with like. The City of London's boundary defines a very small part of a much bigger urban area - as is the case with other cities. Sheffield's City boundary is much wider. What would the population of Sheffield be if you only looked at "the heart of the city"?

Do I personally wish Sheffield was bigger? Yes! Personally I like the vibe of progressive big cities.

Would now be a good time to distract everyone by showing my ankles? That way you can slip out of the City without being tarred and feathered :hihi: :hihi:

Do I personally wish Sheffield was bigger? Yes! Personally I like the vibe of progressive big cities.

So why are you here if Sheffield doesn't have the 'big city feel'?

I ask this so many times of the Sheffield haters, but never seem to get an answer :huh:

So why are you here if Sheffield doesn't have the 'big city feel'?

I ask this so many times of the Sheffield haters, but never seem to get an answer :huh:

Who hates Sheffield? I'm here and staying - especially if Mojo shows her ankles!

As I've said before I just couldn't understand the mantra "we're 4th biggest". I've been elsewhere and I've always thought that there's something wrong with the statistic about Sheffield's size. There is. You're not comparing like with like. Good things can come in small packages which is a good job - I ain't that big myself! (Won't be that much to tar and feather if you find out who I am!)

Addition: why would a Sheffielder hate that big wheel? This is a good thing surely?

Hi six45ive,

When you compare populations of cities by their strict city boundaries, you're not exactly comparing like with like.

It's only meaningfull when you're comparing like with like.

Who hates Sheffield? I'm here and staying -

But why if you want what Sheffield can't offer?!?

I just couldn't do something against my will like that.

BTW - you must REALLY like Sheffield deep down living at Southey Green :ducks:

Do I like Sheffield? Yes! Do I wish Sheffield was bigger, better? Yes!

Do I like the OH? Yes! Do I wish she was Kylie? Can I take the 5th?

Do I like Southey? Am I living here by choice? Can I take the 5th?

Hi six45ive,

Your first point is true. Your second point is simply a fact.

Exactly. We're not comparing Sheffield with two cities at the same time.

Because when we know we have a bigger population but we still feel smaller, more village like and rural than these other cities then that gives us a lovely warm glow and a feeling of being unique, special and superior.

With the exception of London of course you're comparing like with like. The simple fact that most cities are surrounded by urban sprawl whereas Sheffield is surrounded almost completely by countryside still doesn't change where the city's bounderies are. Therefore if you're comparing the population or area of various cities then you have these clearly defined bounderies to go by.

What you seem to be saying is that you can't compare Manchester United with Telford United because they're in completely different leagues. Of course you can because they are both football clubs.

Do I personally wish Sheffield was bigger? Yes! Personally I like the vibe of progressive big cities. Which is where all this began last Friday when I was admiring the big wheel on Fargate. The native Sheffielder hated it. It's what a city the size of Sheffield needs for goodness sake - and many other attractions.

And how would you make Sheffield bigger without destroying what it is that most people love about it?

Also, what exactly did the 'native Sheffielder' actually say about the big wheel?

Archived