An observation from a non-Sheffielder

spinac

Hi six45ive. You know, I didn't start this thread with the intention of splitting hairs. There was something about the 4th largest city FACT that I didn't understand. It didn't SEEM right. There's another fact that helped to explain it for me. I won't repeat it, and I don't want to split hairs over anything else now. There is a good feel about Sheffield. For me though that's not the feeling of the 4th largest city in the country.

As I said before thinking of Sheffield as the 4th largest city disappoints me, because if this is the case then my conclusion is that Sheffield is punching below it's weight. (My feelings, my interpretation) I can explain this to myself by the unrepeatable fact 2 about urban areas. I haven't relegated Sheffield from 4th to 9th. I've just discovered at a DIFFERENT statistic which helps me to understand.

The Sheffielder's comment on the big wheel? To be honest I can't remember now. We got lost in a discussion about the size of Sheffield. :bigsmile:

I do like the big wheel though. Don't you? Must go on it before it leaves. How long is it around for?

(and let's ignore that comment before yours)

Poor spinac, he's totally barking! His head is going to explode eventually, or if his doesn't mine will. I've never before come across anyone who can keep posting the same meaningless mantra over and again, in spite of all evidence to the contrary.

I think what he's trying to say is that although Sheffield is a bigger city with more people living here, those same people are all too busy having a good time down Canal Street, shopping in Harvey Nicks or walking around the city walls in Nottingham to devote any time to making Sheffield a 24 hour buzzing milieu of frenetic fun :D Then we leave those poor devils to the noise, stress and dirt, sneak off back down the motorway to our 'sleepy little backwater' and submerge into our lovely, peaceful, green space .... ;)

:)

Poor spinac, he's totally barking! His head is going to explode eventually, or if his doesn't mine will. I've never before come across anyone who can keep posting the same meaningless mantra over and again, in spite of all evidence to the contrary.

I think what he's trying to say is that although Sheffield is a bigger city with more people living here, those same people are all too busy having a good time down Canal Street, shopping in Harvey Nicks or walking around the city walls in Nottingham to devote any time to making Sheffield a 24 hour buzzing milieu of frenetic fun :D Then we leave those poor devils to the noise, stress and dirt, sneak off back down the motorway to our 'sleepy little backwater' and submerge into our lovely, peaceful, green space .... ;)

Yep. That just about sums it up and long may it continue.:)

Hi six45ive. You know, I didn't start this thread with the intention of splitting hairs. There was something about the 4th largest city FACT that I didn't understand. It didn't SEEM right. There's another fact that helped to explain it for me. I won't repeat it, and I don't want to split hairs over anything else now. There is a good feel about Sheffield. For me though that's not the feeling of the 4th largest city in the country.

As I said before thinking of Sheffield as the 4th largest city disappoints me, because if this is the case then my conclusion is that Sheffield is punching below it's weight. (My feelings, my interpretation) I can explain this to myself by the unrepeatable fact 2 about urban areas. I haven't relegated Sheffield from 4th to 9th. I've just discovered at a DIFFERENT statistic which helps me to understand.

(and let's ignore that comment before yours)

There's a lot of rhetoric in your posts and not a lot of substance and you talk a lot about feelings which differ between people. I prefer talking about facts. It's the only way you can make a rational judgement.

So I agree with you that Sheffield doesn't feel like a city with a population of over half a million which is absolutely wonderful but the fact is that it is the 4th largest population wise and it's those two things combined that makes the place so special.

The fourth largest peaceful green space in the country?

Ignore me. I'll go away.

Facts'll still be there mind.

The fourth largest peaceful green space in the country? Ignore me. I'll go away. Facts'll still be there mind.
Would you recognise a FACT even if it jumped out at you and smacked you in the face? :hihi: Irrespective of what your gut feeling is, it's a FACT that Sheffield is the 4th largest city in England according to population. All else is merely an impression.

Would you recognise a FACT even if it jumped out at you and smacked you in the face? :hihi: Irrespective of what your gut feeling is, it's a FACT that Sheffield is the 4th largest city in England according to population. All else is merely an impression.

OK I admit it, I've been Forum-baiting to a degree. But I'm pretty sure I've admitted LONG ago that Sheffield IS the 4th largest city according to the way the boundaries are drawn in different cities.

However, just as the City of London is TINY (only a resident population of 10,000) we've got to acknowledge that other cities are factually smaller than Sheffield, but only because, like the City of London rather than Greater London, the measure is of a smaller inner area.

If you actually stand back and look at the bigger picture ... oh jeez I'm boring myself now ...

Let me ask you a question ... what does ths say to you ... http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=1307 ?

To me it explained why Sheffield seems smaller than other cities ... because it is when you look at the bigger picture. Unless that is, statistics.gov.uk are putting out lies?

Go on someone say sheepishly ... "OK I admit it, it's a fact: Sheffield is the 9th largest urban area in the country" You can't. There's only one mantra coming out of Sheffielders lips - "we're 4th largest" ... but we're also like an ickle village with lots of trees and butterflies and fairies at the bottom of our garden and we all go to bed early even at weekends.

End of Forum baiting (?) :bigsmile:

Retain your sanity RD - just accept facts. I have.

Listen

Sheffield is the 4th largest city in the country.

Your turn.

Sheffield is the ...th largest urban area in the country.

Give it a go.

You'll sleep much better for it!

Can I just say that as big or small as Sheffield is it's full of the biggest hearts I've ever come across and that makes it the biggest and best place in the world for me :D

And yes... I am drunk!

Archived