An observation from a non-Sheffielder

spinac

Retain your sanity RD - just accept facts. I have.

Listen Sheffield is the 4th largest city in the country.

Your turn.

Sheffield is the ...th largest urban area in the country.

Give it a go.

You'll sleep much better for it!

I don't care really, but you could also say that Sheffield as a discrete entity is actually larger population-wise than Leeds which, according to one of those sites you directed us to, only has around 455,000 inhabitants, the larger figure is only because they slyly annexed a couple of the small towns round about sometime in the last 20 years. I think you're just being a bit mardy because your social life is pants! :D

BUT, as I asked yay back in the thread, can anyone work out how big area-wise Sheffield would be if it was pulled flat? That's a factoid I'd really like to know.

I don't care really.

Yes you do!

I think you're just being a bit mardy because your social life is pants! :D

Yeah ... maybe I need to go to bigger city.

No. Think I'll stay here. It's a heck of a laugh. All these puffer fish staying awake trying to prove how big they are. It's quite funny.

C'mon some brave soul ... just say "Sheffield is the ..th largest urban area" you know you need the sleep ...

Maybe I need to stop now before somebody thinks I'm serious ... :D

Yes you do!
I really don't! Sheff suits me just as it is, except we need some cool places for older people to go out to. And if I was young and wanting more excitment, there's plenty of other (more exciting?) cities within easy reach. It's not like we're stuck in Milton Keynes or Harlow, is it.

Yeah ... maybe I need to go to bigger city.
I think you should! Go to Nottingham, which in addition to having loads and loads of women (allegedly) also has the added advantage of being 30 minutes closer to LONDON Yay!! :)

Any ideas on the area question?

You're right Shefield's cool. Who doesn't pretend to be bigger than they actually are? I should do some of that myself. Wonder where it'll get me? Who'll believe me?

Milton Keynes? Harlow? Forget it! The ex lived in Harlow for a while. What a **** hole. Maybe I should go on the HarlowForum.co.uk and bait some locals?

Nottingham? Sadly I've also checked that fact about women. I've heard some ridiculous stuff about that too - such as "8 times as many women as men" what a load of c**p! It's actually marginally higher than the national average ... 51.7% women to 48.3% men (whatever - I actually made that last stat up, but I don't think it can be far off)

I went on a stag do to Nottingham purely because of the amazing fact of the number of women. I think there were more men out that night on stag dos all there for the same reason and hardly a woman in sight! Not that they'd look at someone who was only 6ft 2" tall anyway. You do believe I'm 6Ft 2" don't you?

You're right Shefield's cool. Who doesn't pretend to be bigger than they actually are? I should do some of that myself. Wonder where it'll get me? Who'll believe me?

Milton Keynes? Harlow? Forget it! The ex lived in Harlow for a while. What a **** hole. Maybe I should go on the HarlowForum.co.uk and bait some locals?

Nottingham? Sadly I've also checked that fact about women. I've heard some ridiculous stuff about that too - such as "8 times as many women as men" what a load of c**p! It's actually marginally higher than the national average ... 51.7% women to 48.3% men (whatever - I actually made that last stat up, but I don't think it can be far off)

I went on a stag do to Nottingham purely because of the amazing fact of the number of women. I think there were more men out that night on stag dos all there for the same reason and hardly a woman in sight! Not that they'd look at someone who was only 6ft 2" tall anyway. You do believe I'm 6Ft 2" don't you?

If you can cobble together a response like the above from what I posted - I don't think you can actually read properly, can you? How much 'whine' have you had tonight? :hihi: And no, I don't believe you're 6'2", in fact, I'm certain you aren't :P

Any idea of the total area of the City boundaries anyway, both ruckled up and flattened out?? Anyone??

... er ??? Mk, Harlow, Nottingham? All mentioned by your good self RD.

Would you believe 6ft 1½?

The area question? Sorry can't help, but I'm sure flattened area ain't gonna be that much different.

Anyways, I'm not making much progress on my report, too many distractions - so it's time to to get some sleep and count sheep

1, 2, 3, 4 .... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... zzzzzz

Sheffield is not the 4th largest city but who cares it doesn't have the gang culture I grew up around in London whereas Manchester does. You can breath fresh air in Sheffield not smoke like in London Birmingham and Manchester. You talk about those cities like they are better than Sheffield but being from London I can tell you that Sheffield is a much cleaner pleasant sort of place. London is an extremely volatile place where nobody cares about anyone but themselves. I know northerners view London as a place with posh people but the place is full of slums where unemployed young men resent those with money and are extremely ruthless in the way they conduct themselves. I have seen people trying to behave like that in Sheffield but certainly not on the same scale as London.

London can be exciting at first sight but when you live there over a long period what you'll find is it consists of annoying tourists. Stuck up toffs, rude idiots, drug dealers, pimps, pick pockets, con men and women.

I'm from Nottingham, and it's certainly far smaller than Sheffield - I have to be honest! That said, the wiki page the OP posted is on population, and I would say that Nottingham is well over populated, it always feels cramped there - I like Sheffield city centre for it's large open areas, broad pavements etc - Nottingham feels like everything is on top of you when you are trying to get about... That said, Nottingham has far more shops, with loads of independents as well as the chain crap... Sheffield is a shopping desert - that is something that really needs to change! I have to go to Manchester everytime I need clothes etc...

Poor spinac, he's totally barking! His head is going to explode eventually, or if his doesn't mine will. I've never before come across anyone who can keep posting the same meaningless mantra over and again, in spite of all evidence to the contrary.

I think what he's trying to say is that although Sheffield is a bigger city with more people living here, those same people are all too busy having a good time down Canal Street, shopping in Harvey Nicks or walking around the city walls in Nottingham to devote any time to making Sheffield a 24 hour buzzing milieu of frenetic fun :D Then we leave those poor devils to the noise, stress and dirt, sneak off back down the motorway to our 'sleepy little backwater' and submerge into our lovely, peaceful, green space .... ;)

:)

Nottingham shuts down at 2am - sad but true! Noone ever took the time to make my home city the place for 24 hour party people either :( That's why I had to get away (and I couldn't afford Manchester or London!)

Archived