An observation from a non-Sheffielder

spinac

Sheffield is very poor compared with Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool & Manchester. I can't imagine that people in other areas of the country would plan to come to Sheffield for a day out and I certainly wouldn't recomend that people come here for the day because the city centre is a dump with no decent shops, you have to go to Meadowhall for decent shops that sell top designer clothes. I was in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago and the city centre was so much cleaner & bigger than Sheffield with top stores like Harvey Nicholls. They even have a Chinese quarter with dozens of proper Chinese restaurants, even the people walking about the city centre looked more prosperous and smartly dressed than people in Sheffield City Centre. You only see smartly dressed people in designer clothes around Meadowhall in Sheffield.

Sheffield is very poor compared with Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool & Manchester. I can't imagine that people in other areas of the country would plan to come to Sheffield for a day out and I certainly wouldn't recomend that people come here for the day because the city centre is a dump with no decent shops, you have to go to Meadowhall for decent shops that sell top designer clothes. I was in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago and the city centre was so much cleaner & bigger than Sheffield with top stores like Harvey Nicholls. They even have a Chinese quarter with dozens of proper Chinese restaurants, even the people walking about the city centre looked more prosperous and smartly dressed than people in Sheffield City Centre. You only see smartly dressed people in designer clothes around Meadowhall in Sheffield.

Sorry - two points in your post caught my eye... I have never seen a shop in Meadowhall selling 'proper' designer clothes???? Where is the Vivienne Westwood? Diesel? Armani? Thought not - Ted Baker tat and that's the top end in that Tinsley hole... Place disgusts me! There are a few shops in the city centre that sell one or two designer pieces, but you have to get the train to Manchester to have a proper shop when it comes to the good stuff!

Also, you might be interested to know that there is a Chinese area in Sheffield - London Rd is 90% Chinese now, and there are quite a few real chinese places, not just canton foods, but main land Chinese eats too!!!

Nottingham is rubbish for shopping, Manchester is better for clothes shopping but that's hardely surprising considering it was the home of the textile industry.

Ah, there speaks someone who doesn't know Nottingham! There is more to the place than the vicky centre and market square you know - Derby Road is a haven for vintage, as is Mansfield Road... Lace Markets and the back end of Broadmarsh have loads of independent as well as designer stores - Sheffield unfortunately has no such shops and is really desperate for them now...

depends what type of clothing you're looking for, if your talking about ladies designer dresses I'm not really into that kind of thing.

Ah, and I'd only be into them if I was a drag queen!!! Although the idea had crossed my mind on many occasions!!! Celias on Derby Rd sell vintage designer gents clothes, lovely stuff!!! Bought so much from there over the years!!! Amazing place! Then of course there are just so many gents shops selling really different stuff in Nottingham - Sheffield needs to really pick up on the trade they lose to other local cities! Tatty national stores selling generic rubbish are not the answer, we need proper shops!

Guest makapaka

I get fed up with people comparing Sheffield to other cities.

Do a few designer shops and some high rise flats make other places better?

Sheffield might not have everything a modern European city is supposed to have but its a nice, friendly place with decent enough centre.

In my view the citizens of Sheffield in the majority have an underlying sense of how to be good with people which a lot of other places don't.

We have an identity, and that goes when you make it into what other cities view as "the future".

Archived