An observation from a non-Sheffielder

spinac

I do now ... it's both 4th and 9th largest, depending upon how you measure it! Facts! I don't want to lose friends over it which is what I nearly did last Friday.

Yes. It depends whether you're measuring the population of the city which puts it in 4th place (unarguable fact) or the population of the wider urban area (which is Sheffield and bits outside of the city so is not a measurement of the population of the city) which puts the wider urban region at 9th.

I'm sure you'd agree with that statement spinac.:P

I do now ... it's both 4th and 9th largest, depending upon how you measure it! Facts! I don't want to lose friends over it which is what I nearly did last Friday.

No it isn't both 4 and 9th.

One relates to city and the other relates to the conurbation.

Your original discussion is about city size so 4th is what you are looking at.

Is this really simple or am I missing something here?

Yes. It depends whether you're measuring the population of the city which puts it in 4th place (unarguable fact) or the population of the wider urban area (which is Sheffield and bits outside of the city so is not a measurement of the population of the city) which puts the wider urban region at 9th.

I'm sure you'd agree with that statement spinac.:P

I've never disagreed with that, in fact I think it was me that pointed it out ... er yes, it was me in the opening post!

What humans experience of a city doesn't end where political contituencies end. When I travel in and out of cities I've no idea where one ward ends and another begins. I've no idea where one postcode ends and another begins. When I cycle out of Sheffield its amazing how quickly the countryside begins. This is a good thing. Now either Sheffield has some tardis like quality we've not discussed or maybe it's not the 4th biggest city in the country ... :bigsmile:

That may be the case with other cities like Manchester and Birmingham where one town seemlessly blends into another and you end up with a bland conglomerate of urban sprawl. The great thing about Sheffield is that it's not like that. The city is surrounded by countryside on almost it's entire circumference giving a clear definition of where the city begins and ends.

The other thing that you seem to have overlooked is that the city is very hilly which means that you can get more housing in what appears to be a smaller area.

I've never disagreed with that, in fact I think it was me that pointed it out ... er yes, it was me in the opening post!

So you're agreeing that the measurement of the wider urban region (9th place) which includes areas outside the city's bounderies is not a measurement of the population of the city (4th place)?

No it isn't both 4 and 9th.

One relates to city and the other relates to the conurbation.

Your original discussion is about city size so 4th is what you are looking at.

Is this really simple or am I missing something here?

It is really simple unisol.

Sheffield is the 4th largest city by population.

Sheffield is not the 9th largest city. Sheffield is the 9th largest urban area.

When you have first hand experience of other cities the "4th largest" stat is a real eye opener. Really? How can that be? It doesn't seem like it. After reseaching the stat, I get it now. The statisticians have more than one measure for what I experienced.

Is there a problem with the "9th largest" urban area stat? Does it seem wrong to you? I'd make it go away for you if I could, but it seems to be a fact.

So you're agreeing that the measurement of the wider urban region (9th place) which includes areas outside the city's bounderies is not a measurement of the population of the city (4th place)?

er yes, clearly. Sheffield is the 4th largest city by population. I acknowledged this in the OP.

Archived